Russian tort laid secret eggs

Ddflinn

Location (City and/or State)
SPRING VALLEY CA
My Russian tortoise laid at least two eggs in her condo. I discovered these two skeletons last night. I'm so sad. I've been in the condo several times a week to pull her out to soak and treat a shell condition. Bummed out. I was understanding that eggs wouldn't hatch in ground in San Diego. I guess some can, if they don't get stomped by the adults. :confused: :tort:

Attachments

• TORT.jpg
    TORT.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry. I know how you feel. I had the same happen to me a couple years back with a leopard tort that was buried in a home made dirt nesting spot that I never knew was used.
Not sure though why you were told eggs can't hatch in the outdoor ground of San Diego? Probably not the best place to get a good hatch rate, but I'm sure some would always make it

TaylorTortoise

Abington
My Russian tortoise laid at least two eggs in her condo. I discovered these two skeletons last night. I'm so sad. I've been in the condo several times a week to pull her out to soak and treat a shell condition. Bummed out. I was understanding that eggs wouldn't hatch in ground in San Diego. I guess some can, if they don't get stomped by the adults. :confused: :tort:
What is this? I am so confused.