Russian tort no looking to good.

AgataP

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
Hello my lovely tortoise friends.
I am posting a photos of a “7” year old “female?” Artemis.
This is not my tortoise I am asking for some people.
Artemis woke up, won’t eat and has visible RI - clear for now.
Enclosure is Amazon open box, no UVB, heat feels like low 70s.
Had swollen eyes. I kept her in a warm water started to drink, as she was in a water longer seems the eye swelling started to her down because of all the bubbles coming out.
Recommend going up with temp to 80-85 per care sheets from the forum.
Talked about possible carrot soak.
Also the tortoise looks very “see through “.
I am not sure if maybe it’s not a time for it to be awake yet?
I recommended all of the above before going to “exotic vet”. Brought Mazuri and weeds for it.
She would open her eyes and is aware but shortly after sleeps.
Was little active in her enclosure and went to the corner that seems to be the warmest one.
When to decide that the carrot soak is needed?
I offered to help with an enclosure build.
Thank you.
@Tom @zovick @KarenSoCal

Attachments

• 651113D0-3370-48E8-B69B-36F34B0E9D73.jpeg
    651113D0-3370-48E8-B69B-36F34B0E9D73.jpeg
    994.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2289E381-6FD5-44A9-A557-225F9708D4C0.jpeg
    2289E381-6FD5-44A9-A557-225F9708D4C0.jpeg
    818.5 KB · Views: 14

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
When you say she "woke up", do you mean from brumation? If so, where was she during that time?
If she was in her enclosure, and just woke recently, that could explain the 70's temps. Regardless of why it's that cold, if she has an RI then she should be at 85°F day and night, everywhere in the enclosure. Maybe a plastic sheet could be draped over the enclosure to keep in some heat and humidity.

Does she have a CHE for night? Usually, when in good health inside a house, Russians don't need nighttime heat if it doesn't go below the 60's.

I would do the carrot soaks if it was my tort. I think she looks too skinny. It's great for opening eyes, and if she'll drink some it's nutrition. Just remember that if she eats she cannot go back into brumation.

I think your recommendations are good. Warmth and hydration works miracles with our torts.

If the owner doesn't improve her care, maybe you should suggest rehoming to them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They've got to get the enclosure warmed up, first and foremost. Without heat, none of the tortoises systems can function correctly.

Next thing would be a good UV source and also good ambient lighting. Seattle winters don't offer much UV, so they need to provide it.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
@Tom and @KarenSoCal exactly all the things I pointed out.
Also yes Karen that is what I mean by “woke up”.
Sorry was typing fast to remember things.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
When you say she "woke up", do you mean from brumation? If so, where was she during that time?
If she was in her enclosure, and just woke recently, that could explain the 70's temps. Regardless of why it's that cold, if she has an RI then she should be at 85°F day and night, everywhere in the enclosure. Maybe a plastic sheet could be draped over the enclosure to keep in some heat and humidity.

Does she have a CHE for night? Usually, when in good health inside a house, Russians don't need nighttime heat if it doesn't go below the 60's.

I would do the carrot soaks if it was my tort. I think she looks too skinny. It's great for opening eyes, and if she'll drink some it's nutrition. Just remember that if she eats she cannot go back into brumation.

I think your recommendations are good. Warmth and hydration works miracles with our torts.

If the owner doesn't improve her care, maybe you should suggest rehoming to them.
Of course no Che 😡

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Unfortunately tortoise didn’t make it.
I went this morning gave her another carrot soak.
She had not ability to hold her head up.
Gave her a bit of Mazuri “shake”. She kinda drank a bit but didn’t wanted to eat.
She was gasping for air. However no bubbles were coming out from her nose I think the warmth and soaks helped but there was just too much wrong for a very long time.
Thank you for help @KarenSoCal and @Tom

At least I know I tried everything. It’s unfortunate that people refuse to educate.
Everyone who is thinking about a tortoise in the future please take this as a lesson.
Tortoise is not an EASY animal. It has needs a lot of them.
6C38A295-34A4-444D-A284-D9F93889F896.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
This is tragic! This poor tortoise died from neglect, and that makes me very angry! It's a good thing that I'm not nearby those people.
AgataP, thank you for trying. At least she felt some love during her last couple of days.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
This is tragic! This poor tortoise died from neglect, and that makes me very angry! It's a good thing that I'm not nearby those people.
AgataP, thank you for trying. At least she felt some love during her last couple of days.
At least she died in warm temps. It is very disappointing but I know those are years of wrong care.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
At least she died in warm temps. It is very disappointing but I know those are years of wrong care.
I’m so sorry that she died despite your attentive care. Please be gentle with yourself as you did everything you could. I’m holding you close to my heart.