Russian tort pyramiding

Bubbatort

So i recently bought a Russian tortoise sadly from a Petsmarts. When i saw him i could tell he had some pyramiding. I live in PA and i was wondering if i could use anything to help avoid future pyramiding. When i touched his shell i felt like some sort of shedding come off.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Humidity for an adult russian (& if you got from petsmart it is an adult) should be at least 30%. I get this by pooring water around the substrate around the basking area. I also have a clay pot for a hide with moss I spray down. Most wild caughts have pretty beat upshells. Mine did too. With proper heat, diet, humidity it will heal. Please read this link on proper care for your guy. Everything pet smart employee told me was wrong :)

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Russians are spunky, you will love him. Just know that they are master escape artist. Diggers and climbers :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Looks like you already have your answer so I'm just here to welcomes you.

Bubbatort

Humidity for an adult russian (& if you got from petsmart it is an adult) should be at least 30%. I get this by pooring water around the substrate around the basking area. I also have a clay pot for a hide with moss I spray down. Most wild caughts have pretty beat upshells. Mine did too. With proper heat, diet, humidity it will heal. Please read this link on proper care for your guy. Everything pet smart employee told me was wrong :)

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Russians are spunky, you will love him. Just know that they are master escape artist. Diggers and climbers :)
Thank you! I have a hygrometer and right now it says 62. Is that ok or does it need to be hotter?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
60 % humidity is fine but make sure your temps are not too low. Basking spot of 95, warm area aroumd 80 and cool end in the low 70s. Too much moisture and low temps may make him sick.