Russian tort refuses to eat calcium

IDigGraves94

Question to the tortoise veterans - Chekhov is roughly 2 yrs old, and absolutely refuses to eat any leaves with calcium powder (and always has). He seems to be doing just fine, but does he need the extra calcium? He will reject even the tiniest sprinkle, and did from the first day I had him (he a few months old then).

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
I guess that means you don't know what a cuttle bone is.I didn't either. Is a flat white bone, you can get it anywhere that sells animal supplies or bird stuff. It's white. The torts will nibble when they need calcium. Just leave it in the enclosure.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Try feeding foods with more calcium. Cactus has a lot of calcium. My Russian has never touched her cuttlebone however I scrape a little off of it with a knife onto her food and she eats it without any issues. Just use a little tiny amount. And if you sprinkle it on the leaves stir them all around so it's not just laying on top. Try it on his favorite food.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have never known a tortoise that didn't hate that calcium powder. Try using just a tiny, tiny trace of it.
I use REPASHY when I have very young tortoises. It is brown or tan in color and my tortoises eat it just fine.
If you can locate it, give it a try.
Also, as stated above some will eat cuddlebone. Bird retail stores often sell broken pieces in little bags for very cheap. Bird folks only want the whole, unbroken ones.

IDigGraves94

Thanks! Will check that out
I guess that means you don't know what a cuttle bone is.I didn't either. Is a flat white bone, you can get it anywhere that sells animal supplies or bird stuff. It's white. The torts will nibble when they need calcium. Just leave it in the enclosure.

IDigGraves94

He does love cactus :)

Try feeding foods with more calcium. Cactus has a lot of calcium. My Russian has never touched her cuttlebone however I scrape a little off of it with a knife onto her food and she eats it without any issues. Just use a little tiny amount. And if you sprinkle it on the leaves stir them all around so it's not just laying on top. Try it on his favorite food.