Russian tort shell looks weird

schotze

Location (City and/or State)
WI
So I have a Russian tort and I noticed that some of the sections of her shell looks as though I could put my nail under it and pop it off. You can’t but it looks like you could. What am I doing wrong? Could it be not enough moisture? Can it be fixed? She eats poops and drives me nuts with trying to dig through the bottom of her cage. I assume spring fever lol. So she seems healthy just worried mom. 3A1454A6-3EAF-4BE1-A844-1ADF9A6B6DEA.jpeg8CD393EC-8FF6-473D-A0E5-E713D78388A9.jpeg8CD393EC-8FF6-473D-A0E5-E713D78388A9.jpeg

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Most Russian tortoises are wild caught animals, they go through a lot when are out in the wild till they end up in pet stores. It’s normal to have some damage that’s only cosmetic.
Your Russian looks healthy with nice new growth.

A recommendation from the picture is to move the food onto a clay dish or a piece of slate rock, this will be easier for your Russian to access their food and to combat over grown beak.

schotze

WI
Thanks. I was wondering about that because her beak is getting kinda long. I keep a close eye on her and I’ve never seen her shell look like this. She always had a divot because yes I got her from pet co when she was very small. About 6 yrs ago. It hard to tell from the picture but it looks like sections are almost flaking. You can’t pop it off but almost looks as though you can. So that is normal?