Russian Tort, wearing down scales on arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
My tort has been wearing down the scales on his arms. I notice he rubs his face with his arms (usually when eating or drinking though). I read they will wear down naturally and re-grow, but do I need to worry about the behavior? I don't like the idea that he's hurting himself. Thanks!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Here's a picture from last month. I circled where on one arm you can see a spot missing scales. No inflammation, redness, etc. It is now slightly worse (larger area missing), and on both arms. When he's awake tomorrow I'll get a new shot.

ehjek9.jpg

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Interesting, Mine rub there faces, but none of them have ever rubbed them completely away.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
I'd be surprised if they rubbed their faces enough to wear down the arm scales without hurting their face. When I see mine rubbing their faces it's usually because they've been eating and have something hanging out of their mouth or stuck to it, or have been digging and have dirt on their face. May be something else in the enclosure they are rubbing on.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Thanks for the tip...not sure what else could have caused it unless he rubbed them on his log hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.