Russian tort weather conditions

Tort1419

Hello soon i will hopefully own a healthy cute little Russian tortoise, during the winter months i plan to keep him in his indoor enclosure and when it is warm to keep him in his outdoor enclosure, however I'm confused about something, what temperature range is suitable for him to be outside, like from X degrees to Y degrees also what about the humidity range, lastly what if it rains or there is a thunderstorm will I need to take him inside or will he be ok, lastly when he is small i plan to take him inside at night, but what about when he is bigger will he be ok outside

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have found it much easier to allow them to do what comes naturally - hibernate. Once a tortoise is about 3 years of age, I hibernate them through the winter.

They usually start waking up once the night time temperatures are staying 50F or above, and I put them back out into their yard at that time. If it rains, I put them all inside their shelter and block the door so they can't come out.

You can't really go by weatherman temperature because a tortoise sitting in the sun and sheltered from the wind can warm up much warmer than the air around him.

Baby tortoises should be kept indoors and only put out on sunny days, then brought back inside at night.

Read the baby russian care sheet that's pinned at the top of the Russian section. I think she talks about putting them outside.