Russian tortoise always wants to be on the floor exploring

Tallulah16

Location (City and/or State)
Staffordshire
I recently adopted a 9year and 5 month old tortoise he has had quite a few owners in his time and the other day I was cleaning his house out and I popped him on my floor I know you shouldn’t but I didn’t really have anywhere else and then not long after I put him back in his clean house but now every time I enter the room he spots me and follows me around and tries to escape and will not rest till I put him on the floor then he seems fine he has adventures around the room but now hates being put back in his enclosure. I’m not sure what to do has anyone got any advice I am a newbie.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I recently adopted a 9year and 5 month old tortoise he has had quite a few owners in his time and the other day I was cleaning his house out and I popped him on my floor I know you shouldn’t but I didn’t really have anywhere else and then not long after I put him back in his clean house but now every time I enter the room he spots me and follows me around and tries to escape and will not rest till I put him on the floor then he seems fine he has adventures around the room but now hates being put back in his enclosure. I’m not sure what to do has anyone got any advice I am a newbie.

Yep. Bigger is better. Grass is greener on the other side of the fence.... so, you probably need a much larger enclosure than you currently have. Stop putting it out on the floor, it now knows there are much larger spaces out there!

How large is the enclosure?

Good luck.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
stop putting on the floor... ignore his requests, no good can come of it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
An adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. Enlarge his enclosure and put him in a smaller container when cleaning. He will then like his large enclosure

Tallulah16

Staffordshire
This is his enclosure the picture doesnt do it much justice I just measured it is smaller it’s 1.95 meters by 1.4 meters, I am thinking if making him a extension so I will make that a priority I feel really bad just ignoring him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Thats a great looking enclosure! Did you make it? Russian tortoises like to explore. He will never be content in the enclosure so you can either ignore him, continue letting him out, or build a larger enclosure. Maybe you could make an outdoor enclosure and have that be the indoor/winter enclosure.