Russian Tortoise baby temps & humidity

margosha

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, OH
Hi!
I'm new to the forum and to tortoise motherhood, and would really appreciate some advice about temps and humidity. I recently got a 6 month old RT baby (he's so tiny!). I have heard that babies need higher humidity and temps, and I've been struggling to maintain that.

His enclosure currently is a 50 gal tank that I closed off the top to with some plexiglass. I use Eco Earth coco fiber for his substrate and I keep it packed in and damp, although I'm still not certain just HOW damp it should be because I know it shouldn't be wet. With that being said, the ambient humidity is only around 50% on the cooler end and 35-40% under the basking light. This is according to an Accurite thermometer/hygrometer that I keep as close to the substrate as possible.

The temps on the hot side hover around 90 and under the basking light are 95-100 degrees. They gradient down to about 75 on the cool end. He also has a humid hide that's heated by a thermostat controlled CHE (the CHE also helps with the ambient temps because it's pretty cold in my house... and in Cleveland!). At night I leave the CHE on and the temps stay around 73-75 degrees.

So I guess my questions are:
• Is the humidity too low for a Russian baby?
• Are the nighttime temps to low?
• How damp can the substrate be?

I've read @Tom 's care guide (like 50 times haha) and the other RT baby guide here. They were super helpful, and I have implemented everything that was suggested. I'm just worried the temps and humidity are too low for a baby and would love some input. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not an aficionado of baby russian care, but it sounds ok to me. Russians don't need the high humidity that leopards and sulcatas need, and they are better able to withstand the cooler temperatures, so a gradient like you have sounds good to me. But wait to hear from others who have more experience with Russians.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi!
I'm new to the forum and to tortoise motherhood, and would really appreciate some advice about temps and humidity. I recently got a 6 month old RT baby (he's so tiny!). I have heard that babies need higher humidity and temps, and I've been struggling to maintain that.

His enclosure currently is a 50 gal tank that I closed off the top to with some plexiglass. I use Eco Earth coco fiber for his substrate and I keep it packed in and damp, although I'm still not certain just HOW damp it should be because I know it shouldn't be wet. With that being said, the ambient humidity is only around 50% on the cooler end and 35-40% under the basking light. This is according to an Accurite thermometer/hygrometer that I keep as close to the substrate as possible.

The temps on the hot side hover around 90 and under the basking light are 95-100 degrees. They gradient down to about 75 on the cool end. He also has a humid hide that's heated by a thermostat controlled CHE (the CHE also helps with the ambient temps because it's pretty cold in my house... and in Cleveland!). At night I leave the CHE on and the temps stay around 73-75 degrees.

So I guess my questions are:
• Is the humidity too low for a Russian baby?
• Are the nighttime temps to low?
• How damp can the substrate be?

I've read @Tom 's care guide (like 50 times haha) and the other RT baby guide here. They were super helpful, and I have implemented everything that was suggested. I'm just worried the temps and humidity are too low for a baby and would love some input. Thanks!

All of your conditions sound pretty good to me.

Your questions:
  • I prefer humidity for baby russians around 50-70% IF a humid hide is used, they are soaked daily, they have damp substrate (preferably coco coir) and they get their shell sprayed several times a day. The more open your top is, the more desiccating electric heat you need to use. Closed chamber work best.
  • Night time temps in the mid 60s are fine for baby russians with moderate humidity, as long as they can warm up each day. Low 70s are great.
  • The substrate should be damp enough that you can grab a handful and almost squeeze water out of it. If you squeeze a handful and a lot of water drips out, it it too wet, but don't worry, it will dry out quickly. If you squeeze really hard and a drop or two comes out, it is probably okay.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
All of your conditions sound pretty good to me.

Your questions:
  • I prefer humidity for baby russians around 50-70% IF a humid hide is used, they are soaked daily, they have damp substrate (preferably coco coir) and they get their shell sprayed several times a day. The more open your top is, the more desiccating electric heat you need to use. Closed chamber work best.
  • Night time temps in the mid 60s are fine for baby russians with moderate humidity, as long as they can warm up each day. Low 70s are great.
  • The substrate should be damp enough that you can grab a handful and almost squeeze water out of it. If you squeeze a handful and a lot of water drips out, it it too wet, but don't worry, it will dry out quickly. If you squeeze really hard and a drop or two comes out, it is probably okay.

Thanks! This was really helpful.

He does have a closed chamber with high walls and it's closed off on top, and I am using about 4" of damp coco coir. So I'm a little surprised the humidity isn't higher. I was thinking keeping moss in there (up on a ledge somewhere he can't reach) might be a good idea?

He is soaked daily and has a warm humid hide, but I will definitely start spraying his shell as well! The breeder says he is about 6 months old. At what point should I start tapering off his soak to every other day?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks! This was really helpful.

He does have a closed chamber with high walls and it's closed off on top, and I am using about 4" of damp coco coir. So I'm a little surprised the humidity isn't higher. I was thinking keeping moss in there (up on a ledge somewhere he can't reach) might be a good idea?

He is soaked daily and has a warm humid hide, but I will definitely start spraying his shell as well! The breeder says he is about 6 months old. At what point should I start tapering off his soak to every other day?

Moss placed out of reach might help.

A tank with a partially covered top and the lights outside, is not a closed chamber. The lights on the outside create a chimney effect which draws cold, dry room air into your tank. This also creates the need for more bulbs, higher wattage and more electric heat to be produced, which desiccates their carapace. A true closed chamber with the lights inside requires surprisingly little electricity to heat and light. In my new 30x96" chambers, I'm using 12 watt LEDs for light and two 43 watt bulbs for heat, which raise my ambient into the 90s daily. When summer arrives, I'm probably going to have to get even lower wattage bulbs for them. Humidity in these chambers with damp substrate is 80-90% all the time and spikes up to 99% every night when they lights go out.

I like to soak babies every day until they reach 100 grams. At that size, I start skipping days now an then. For adults, soaking intervals depend on the current weather and climate. Mild temps and moderate humidity? Then I think once a week is enough for a well fed tortoise that has access to water. Hot dry climate with summer temps of 100 plus? Then I think at least 2 soaks a week, and 3 or 4 wouldn't be bad in any way.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
Moss placed out of reach might help.

A tank with a partially covered top and the lights outside, is not a closed chamber. The lights on the outside create a chimney effect which draws cold, dry room air into your tank. This also creates the need for more bulbs, higher wattage and more electric heat to be produced, which desiccates their carapace. A true closed chamber with the lights inside requires surprisingly little electricity to heat and light. In my new 30x96" chambers, I'm using 12 watt LEDs for light and two 43 watt bulbs for heat, which raise my ambient into the 90s daily. When summer arrives, I'm probably going to have to get even lower wattage bulbs for them. Humidity in these chambers with damp substrate is 80-90% all the time and spikes up to 99% every night when they lights go out.

I like to soak babies every day until they reach 100 grams. At that size, I start skipping days now an then. For adults, soaking intervals depend on the current weather and climate. Mild temps and moderate humidity? Then I think once a week is enough for a well fed tortoise that has access to water. Hot dry climate with summer temps of 100 plus? Then I think at least 2 soaks a week, and 3 or 4 wouldn't be bad in any way.

Oh duh! Well I feel silly now. :oops: I knew I was missing something with the closed chamber thing. I will try the moss with my current setup, but I definitely want to avoid any damage to his shell. Right now I'm using the 100 ZooMed Powersun which sits about 20" above his shell, and a 60W CHE that is controlled by a thermostat. It radiates heat throughout but sits in the middle of the tank above a humid hide. Would this heat setup be damaging?

margosha

Cleveland, OH
Wanted to post an update!

So the moss didn't help with humidity much, and my little guy was seeming a little sleepy so I called the breeder who said it was vital I keep his humidity 60-70%. So, panic stricken haha, I called off work today and ran around getting things to make him a closed chamber set up. I now have his temps at 85-90 hot side, 95-100 basking, and around 75 in the coolest part of the cage. The humidity is around 70%.

My question is how high can the humidity go up to for RT babies? Since I know it gets higher at night. And now that the cold air isn't escaping, is it ok that the temps will be a little higher at night? Around 75-77? Or should I let some air out? He has a layer twice his size of damp substrate to burrow in, and I know it's cooler down there. Just want to make sure I have everything right!

margosha

Cleveland, OH
Hi again! So, it's been a little while but I'm still trying to understand the whole temperature thing since I keep reading different contradicting opinions. My little guy sleeps a lot (sometimes all day, just getting up to eat). I know babies sleep a ton, but is this normal?

Right now my temps are:
  • 87-90 basking area
  • 95-100 right under the bulb
  • Gradient down to about 77-80
  • Night temps around 77
Per @Tom 's suggestion, I switched to a closed chamber and it has worked wonders for humidity (thanks Tom!), it now stays 60-75%.

Do these temps/humidity look good for a baby RT? Any help is super appreciated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your temps sound fine. I'd let night temps drop a little more for a russian. Can you leave the doors open a bit at night without worrying about an escape?

Post a pic or two of your enclosure. That will give us a better idea of what we are talking about.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
Your temps sound fine. I'd let night temps drop a little more for a russian. Can you leave the doors open a bit at night without worrying about an escape?

Post a pic or two of your enclosure. That will give us a better idea of what we are talking about.

Here is my enclosure. I know it's kinda small, but it's only for while he's a baby. And, I guess it's not totally closed, because if I close it off all the way, it gets sweltering. The CHE is set to 80 degrees and runs 24 hrs. I could turn it off at night, because I don't think my house gets colder than 70ish now that the weather has warmed up.

Attachments

• IMG_7071.jpeg
    IMG_7071.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 82

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is my enclosure. I know it's kinda small, but it's only for while he's a baby. And, I guess it's not totally closed, because if I close it off all the way, it gets sweltering. The CHE is set to 80 degrees and runs 24 hrs. I could turn it off at night, because I don't think my house gets colder than 70ish now that the weather has warmed up.
I think that is a wonderful set up for a baby russian. Substrate looks a little bit dry, but I really can't tell that from a pic.

65-70 at night is good for a baby russian tortoise with your warm day time temps.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
I think that is a wonderful set up for a baby russian. Substrate looks a little bit dry, but I really can't tell that from a pic.

65-70 at night is good for a baby russian tortoise with your warm day time temps.

Thanks! When I take a handful of substrate and squeeze, it holds it's shape. And if I squeeze hard, I can hear like a water squish (haha Idk how to explain it). Should it be wetter?

margosha

Cleveland, OH

Are those night temps ok even with 60-75% humidity and damp soil? I keep reading mixed opinions about keeping babies in night temps below like 77 degrees. It's all so confusing :confused: I would love your imput!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks! When I take a handful of substrate and squeeze, it holds it's shape. And if I squeeze hard, I can hear like a water squish (haha Idk how to explain it). Should it be wetter?
Sounds perfect.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are those night temps ok even with 60-75% humidity and damp soil? I keep reading mixed opinions about keeping babies in night temps below like 77 degrees. It's all so confusing :confused: I would love your imput!
The people advising high night temps for russians with humidity have never raised raised them with humidity and allowed a night drop in temps. I have. Go back and send a private message to whoever told you that and ask them how many russian hatchlings they've raised, with or without humidity.

I've raised dozens of russians, and other temperate species, with moderate humidity, and night drops into the 60s suit them very well.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
The people advising high night temps for russians with humidity have never raised raised them with humidity and allowed a night drop in temps. I have. Go back and send a private message to whoever told you that and ask them how many russian hatchlings they've raised, with or without humidity.

I've raised dozens of russians, and other temperate species, with moderate humidity, and night drops into the 60s suit them very well.

Gotcha! Thanks so much for taking the time to explain all this to me. Like others, I did so much research before getting my baby but still have made mistakes due to outdated info. So, your first-hand expertise is greatly appreciated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom Sorry I just thought of something else! How high can I let the humidity get?
It is not that critical with russians. For babies, I use damp substrate, a humid hide, daily soaks, and cover most of the top of the enclosure.

Aim for 60-70% humidity during the day with the lights on, and don't worry about what it does at night when things cool.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
It is not that critical with russians. For babies, I use damp substrate, a humid hide, daily soaks, and cover most of the top of the enclosure.

Aim for 60-70% humidity during the day with the lights on, and don't worry about what it does at night when things cool.

Is it ok if it goes above that? Sometimes it spikes to 80%ish