Russian Tortoise Burrowing non stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Hey guys, super weird thing has been going on with my tort sheldon. Whenever i go to give him his food he has completely burrowed himself under his water dish and cover the burrow behind him. This has never happened before in the year ive had him. Any thoughts on this? id love to figure out whats up!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Can we see a picture of his enclosure, please?

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Pics are nice. Russian tortoises can go through phases where they 'go down' for a week or more. However, you always want to stand back and re evaluate the enclosure: temps, how old your UV bulb is, substrate, etc. Also what his behavior was before he started to burrow: eating well? all functions normal?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
He's trying to get away from something. Maybe it's too hot, too dry, or he's just afraid.

I've got a Russian that is only eating select foods and seems to want to hide most of the day. So, I'm working on a larger enclosure for his indoor time. It will be 48 sq ft and shaped like a large "C" with extensions. I hope that will perk him up.

towelie200

5 Year Member
his enclosure is 6x2, and his basking spot is about 92-95 and his cool side is roughly 78 ish. His UVB (reptisun 10.0) was new in january-feb. he eats just on his own terms, picks a little then comes back periodically throughout the day, he seems to eat less in the summer as he does towards winter. Ive just never seen him really burrow like he has before. He is a rescue so im not sure how he was raised etc. Do the temps seem okay?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is your 10.0 bulb a coil type or a long tube type?

The coil types can sometimes bother their eyes, and he might be hiding from the burning sensation.

If it is the coil type we have a member named Baoh that is about to start a study on them to try to determine exactly what about them is causing the problem. Please PM him and share the details about your bulb with him and see if you can send the bulb to him to have the light output measured in his lab.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Is your 10.0 bulb a coil type or a long tube type?

The coil types can sometimes bother their eyes, and he might be hiding from the burning sensation.

If it is the coil type we have a member named Baoh that is about to start a study on them to try to determine exactly what about them is causing the problem. Please PM him and share the details about your bulb with him and see if you can send the bulb to him to have the light output measured in his lab.

the reptisun 10.0 is tube not coil. i never used a coil type, i use the 10.0 for all my reptiles. he ate all his food today and basked, just now hiding all day today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's what I get for jumping too far ahead...

We'll have to keep looking for a cause to explain his change of behavior then.

towelie200

5 Year Member
it's really quite strange; Ive never seen him really acting this way, I'm not really worried just curious more than anything. Maybe not enough vitamin c? or some sort of hydration?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I think you need a cooler temp for your cool side or a drop in temp at night.

The basking spot could be a bit warmer but I would lower the cool side first. Put a freezer pack above the cool side of his enclosure if need be.

How often are you soaking him?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I agree. No heat at night.
Then try to get the cool side down to 65-70 during the day.
Get the basking area up to 95 to 100f. It may mean moving the basking light around, etc.

Not sure why this wouldn't have bothered him in the past, but now is now with tortoises!

Also, the tube lights are good for about 6 months, so try switching that to a new one. I do think they are great, though.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
First, remember that Russians are a true burrowing species, that's what they do. Us forcing them to remain above ground when in captivity by not giving them adequate burrowing conditions is not normal (for them). They are evolved and adapted to live in burrows. Or at the very least, underground. Different environmental conditions and changes dictate when, how often and with what frequency they spend time above ground. Changes in light intensity and duration, temperatures, food availability, lack of or excessive moisture above ground and other factors determine their actions. In captivity, changes of most kinds may cause a Russian tortoise to remain under longer. Even to the extent of moving the enclosure to a different position or location or moving things around in the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.