Russian Tortoise Care in Virginia?

Lucky The Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Florida I guess
I might be moving to Charloettesville within the year. I know it's colder in Virginia than it is in Florida, and they actually have seasons, but what would I need to change? Is it less humid there? Is there anything I need to do (more feeding, misting, etc) different each season? Even though it's still a chance that I'll move, I want to make sure Lucky is able to come with me. Also, If I do move, it will be around either this December or next June. Any owners in Virginia willing to help?

daniellenc

Maryland
I’m in Maryland not far from VA. Depending on your cage you may have issues with heat and humidity in the winter, but in a closed table there’s really no difference. It’s warm mid April to mid to late October. November and December get chilly and January-March are down right cold and sometimes snowy.

samta23

Virginia
How old is your tort? Young russian torts need humidity from 50-70% but that tapers off for juveniles and adults. I live in Virginia and with my AC set at 78, even with an open table, I have 52% humidity (without misting) in the warm area and closer to 60% in the darker/shade area of the table. Humidity does drop quite a bit by the time winter season rolls in though. However, as long as you have a warm humid hide for your tort to go into at night, I wouldn't worry about humidity at all.

ethan508

Northern Utah
I keep my adult russians outside in Utah (except wintertime), and we have very low outside humidity (25-50%). Do keep a water dish (mine is more like a very shallow pond) available so they can soak when needed. If you keep your torts indoors then electrical heating (lights, CHE) is very drying. In a Utah winter, electric heat could drive my indoor humidity down to ~10%. So I have to be more careful to add moisture, increase soaks, and/or enclose the indoor container to keep the moisture to a more healthy level.