russian tortoise eating habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Well I'm new to owning a russian tortoise so I'm not sure exactly what I should be feeding him. From the sites that I have been researching so far I have been feeding him broccoli, kale, romaine lettuce and carrots. I tried to feed him apples and green peppers but he refuses to eat them. He ate some dead plants while playing outside the other day? I had to move him away from the plant because I wasn't sure if that was safe.

What other foods should I be feeding him? I know it's good to have a variety, but there's not too many plants for me to feed him. I'm looking for things i can buy at a grocery store. And also he is about 5 inches, how much and how often should he be feed?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
This site has some good Russian care information: www.russiantortoise.org

Russian tortoises eat almost exclusively leafy greens. Broccoli should not be fed. Kale is okay in moderation, romaine lettuce is fine. Carrots should not be part of their constant diet but are good occasionally for additional vitamins. Stay away from fruits altogether.

A good quality, varied diet should consist of, but not be limited to: escarole, endive, romaine, arugula, chicory, dandelion, broad & narrow leaf plantain, vetch, alfalfa, clover, lambsquarter, sow thistle, mustard, beet & collard greens and occasional spinach is fine too as well as most other non-toxic weeds and plants. Vegetables can be fed occasionally in the form of: squashes, pumpkin, green & yellow beans, peas, bell peppers, sweet potato and occasionally corn and other vegetables.

How much to feed is difficult to accurately say since it really depends upon the individual animal and how active (or inactive) they are at different times of the year. Very generally speaking if your tortoise is active it can be fed what it will consume as long as it does remain active and not begin to show signs of getting fat which is usually seen around the inner leg joints and neck first. Russians are notorious for consuming all food that is put in front of them. This is probably an instinct that comes from the conditions that they live in where their activity period is short and they need to consume as much food to gain strength and energy in that short time.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
I agree with GBtortoises,
As a snack you can feed your tort prickly pear cactus.
My tortoise absolutely adores it! I feed my tort around the amount size that his shell is.

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
where do you usually get cactus from?

I keep reading they love dandelions!
so im considering planting some of my own so I can feed him.

today I bought a salad mix with a bunch of leafy greens, some small tomatos and cucumbers. i've tried to feed him apple but he doesn't seem to like it :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Russians are poor at digesting sugar and fruit should only be an occasional part of the diet.

Generally you should not offer tomato, strawberry, apple, etc... It isn't good for them.

Stick to leafy greens - weeds like dandelion and plantain are good.

Take a look at The Totoise Table - Plant Database Their Plant Database is an excellent guide on what to feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.