Russian tortoise eating oddly

randominique

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello, recently my Russian tortoise has only been eating under his basking light. His basking light is 90-100 degrees F, and it is 73 degrees everywhere else. Is it too cold for him?

Also, I realized I might have been feeding him incorrectly. I would place a pile of food the size of his shell either on his food tray (away from his basking light) or in the area by the basking light and would leave that pile there for him to eat during the day. Yesterday, I decided to place some new food by his basking light even though he didn’t finish his old pile, and he ate that instead of the old pile. Am I supposed to be periodically replacing his food pile every day?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello, recently my Russian tortoise has only been eating under his basking light. His basking light is 90-100 degrees F, and it is 73 degrees everywhere else. Is it too cold for him?

Also, I realized I might have been feeding him incorrectly. I would place a pile of food the size of his shell either on his food tray (away from his basking light) or in the area by the basking light and would leave that pile there for him to eat during the day. Yesterday, I decided to place some new food by his basking light even though he didn’t finish his old pile, and he ate that instead of the old pile. Am I supposed to be periodically replacing his food pile every day?
You can leave the same pile of food in place all day. If the tortoise is hungry, it will eat from that pile.

If the pile gets fully consumed any time before about 7-8 PM, then you should add more to it. I always put down another pile of food if my tortoises finished the first pile of food before the early evening. IE, I never left my tortoises without a pile of food to eat.

In the wild, they can eat whenever they wish, so it is good to give them the same opportunity in their captive habitat as well.

Last edited:

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland

Is he otherwise going around the enclosure and leaving his basking spot?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The rest of the enclosure for the day time should range 75-80. So yes, it's too cold. Staying under the basking is usually a sign to cold

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Enclosure should be big enough, 4x8 for an adult that the range of 75-80 both can be reached. Coolest end 75 and then gradually going up to 80 until it reaches the basking area.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I always prepare enough food for Zola so that there is a second helping left in a plastic box to top up if his original lot gets mostly eaten, whatever the time.
Angie

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK

Hello and welcome!

Yeah that does sound too cool, I’d suggest installing a CHE(ceramic heat emitter)

Whilst you’re here I don’t suppose you’d mind sharing some more information? It can help with suggestions for the needed adjustments.

Is it a baby or adult?
What kind of lighting and heating are you using specifically? Packaging photos are good if you have any!
Do you use indoor uv? If so what kind?
How’s your humidity reading? What do you use for substrate?

A photo of the full set up would be great! Along with one of your tortoise if you don’t mind🥰

randominique

Ohio
Hello and welcome!

Yeah that does sound too cool, I’d suggest installing a CHE(ceramic heat emitter)

Whilst you’re here I don’t suppose you’d mind sharing some more information? It can help with suggestions for the needed adjustments.

Is it a baby or adult?
What kind of lighting and heating are you using specifically? Packaging photos are good if you have any!
Do you use indoor uv? If so what kind?
How’s your humidity reading? What do you use for substrate?

A photo of the full set up would be great! Along with one of your tortoise if you don’t mind🥰
My tortoise is an adult. His enclosure is...embarrassing. I'm working towards a larger 4x8 enclosure in my bedroom, but I haven't had the time to have a proper conversation with my parents about it. It's posted here, and I actually think you replied to it: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/i...sing-the-right-light-bulb-for-basking.219701/ The humidity is 57%, and I use ZooMed ReptiBark that is 2-4 inches deep.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
My tortoise is an adult. His enclosure is...embarrassing. I'm working towards a larger 4x8 enclosure in my bedroom, but I haven't had the time to have a proper conversation with my parents about it. It's posted here, and I actually think you replied to it: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/i...sing-the-right-light-bulb-for-basking.219701/ The humidity is 57%, and I use ZooMed ReptiBark that is 2-4 inches deep.
Oh yes I remember you now! Sorry I get new users mixed up all the time😣No worries! I’m sure you’ll get sorted, we’re happy to help in any way we can!