Russian Tortoise Enclosure-Too Small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpazzyArtist

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere over the rainbow.
We've had these 'Underbed Storage Bins' in the hallway forever, so I placed it on my dresser and it fit perfectly! But is it too small for a young Russian tortoise? (I don't have the tortoise yet, so I have plenty of time to make adjustments.)
:)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 64

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi SpazzyArtist:

Welcome to the forum!! No, those are great for baby tortoises. The sides are a bit low, so as the tortoise gets bigger you have to upgrade to a bigger tub, but they'll do nicely for a couple years.

SpazzyArtist

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi SpazzyArtist:

Welcome to the forum!! No, those are great for baby tortoises. The sides are a bit low, so as the tortoise gets bigger you have to upgrade to a bigger tub, but they'll do nicely for a couple years.

Thanks! So far I'm loving this forum... It's incredibly helpful. :)
I'm planning on covering the sides with masking tape since their clear, too... Thanks again!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
SpazzyArtist said:
I'm planning on covering the sides with masking tape since their clear, too... Thanks again!

There's no need for that. The opacity of the plastic is quite visible to the tortoise and it will not bother him in the least to be able to see shadows through it.

SpazzyArtist

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
SpazzyArtist said:

There's no need for that. The opacity of the plastic is quite visible to the tortoise and it will not bother him in the least to be able to see shadows through it.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. :)
Thanks for the info!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have my hatchling Greek in a similar tub (doesn't have wheels) that I got for about $9, so far it is working great. Honestly she is so tiny she doesn't even really use all of it, and could probably be fine in a tub half the size, lol.

For adult Russians a 4' X 2' area would be absolutely the minimum, and larger if you have more than one. But the tubs work great in the beginning.

SpazzyArtist

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
I have my hatchling Greek in a similar tub (doesn't have wheels) that I got for about $9, so far it is working great. Honestly she is so tiny she doesn't even really use all of it, and could probably be fine in a tub half the size, lol.

For adult Russians a 4' X 2' area would be absolutely the minimum, and larger if you have more than one. But the tubs work great in the beginning.

Yeah, my mom got 4 of these tubs for $6. It would be young Russian, so maybe for a while this tub will work fine. :) But eventually, I will upgrade!
:D
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.