Russian Tortoise First Timer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rylo922

5 Year Member
I have owned red eared sliders before, but never a Russian Tortoise. I purchased a baby, and would like any and all advice any one can give me. After visiting a few local pet shops, I am very confused what I will need for him or her.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, rylo922!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
rylo922 said:
I have owned red eared sliders before, but never a Russian Tortoise. I purchased a baby, and would like any and all advice any one can give me. After visiting a few local pet shops, I am very confused what I will need for him or her.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi there! Welcome to TFO. It sounds like you have a lot of questions about your first Russian tortoise. You've come to the right spot. We have a lot of great information here about Russians and other tortoises, from a lot of experienced and knowledgeable folks. Here are some places to start looking for the answers to your questions.

Subforum on Russian tortoises: "Russian tortoises"

Recent thread: "help with russian tortoise heating and lighting and other stuff"

Another useful website: http://russiantortoise.net/

Hope that helps! :)

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
New England
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the baby RT! Russian tortoises usually stay in the 5-8 inch range when adults, so they do not need housing as large as some other species.

It's best to get them outside as much as possible when the weather is decent (they are pretty cold hardy but will do best outside when the ambient temperature is 70 degrees or above. My RT Shorty's enclosure has panels so you can adjust the size. Currently it's about 5.5 x 4 feet. In the winter you may need an indoor enclosure (depends on where you live- I live in New England so it gets really cold) and that should measure at least 3 x 4 but larger is always better.

Russian tortoises are usually not picky eaters at all. A good diet for them is weeds like dandelion greens, chickory, collard greens, kale, and even some seeds you can plant yourself like chia seeds. Fruit should only be fed sparingly as a treat (like once a month). You can also feed commercial diets like Zoo Med grassland tortoise diet. It hasn't struck Shorty's fancy, though. He prefers natural weeds!

It is also important to soak young tortoises often so they can stay hydrated.

As for substrates, coco coir and Eco earth are good because RTs love burrowing.

annieexton

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome! I am looking for a baby Russian Tortoise myself! May I ask where you got yours???
Thank you so much!
Annie

rylo922

5 Year Member
RE: Russian Tortoise First Timer!

annieexton said:
Hello and welcome! I am looking for a baby Russian Tortoise myself! May I ask where you got yours???
Thank you so much!
Annie

I found a breeder on line, but I do not know which website. I emailed several different people, and this one was cheaper than most, so I just had it sent right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.