Russian Tortoise Grocery Diet and Bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Hey Jacqui, do you have any experience drying the weeds? I have a dehydrator since we dry out tons of peppers from Dan's extensive pepper collection. Do you rehydrate to feed? or feed off just like hay?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Actually no I don't. It's one of those things I think about, but never seem to get around to trying. Not even sure what group it was talking about doing it...hasn't been lately that they did. It might have been Ed's group I am thinking, but not swearing to. Another thought, go to the shelled warriors and do a search on there. I would also bet some in there are knowledgable.

Seems some were just taking them and hanging them from the rafters and some using the machine. I had thought about doing the rafter thing with mulberry branches, since I need to cut them out any how. They are a weed tree here...lol.

They were being feed like hay, as a dry product.

I would say just try doing experiments and see what happens. Only going to lose some time and might gain a lot.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Yup Ill be starting some in the dehydrator this week and give it a try. Sounds very interesting and would certainly be helpful when there are several feet of snow on the ground here this winter. ;)

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I love the idea of drying the weeds to keep for winter!! I never thought about it....seems like such a perfect solution! Thanks!:p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
All of you who try it, will you please keep us posted on what you tried, how you tried drying, how well it worked, and how your animals like them.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Once the food is dried how is the nutrition value? Do you need to adda bit of water rinse so the tortoise has an easier time chewing and digesting? I read timothy hay (not alfalfa hay) is a good supplement/additional food source? What do you all think?:shy:

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Cam said:
Once the food is dried how is the nutrition value? Do you need to adda bit of water rinse so the tortoise has an easier time chewing and digesting? I read timothy hay (not alfalfa hay) is a good supplement/additional food source? What do you all think?:shy:

I have timothy hay as an additional bedding material and they seem to enjoy both eating it as well as sleeping in it.:) Not sure about nutrition in the dried weeds though. Seems like it would hold nutritional value....anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.