Russian tortoise help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Hey everyone! I got a new russian tortoise about three days ago, not from a pet store, but from the Phoenix Herpetological Society. He is in a Tupperware container, about 43x18 inches, he has a barky substrate about an 1'-1 1'2". He has his basking light, at 93 degrees, humidity is about 30%. The problem is: he isnt eating, isnt pooping or peeing, and seems very very tired. All i see him do is sleep, and burrow. Im kinda worried about the little guy, i offer him food everyday and he just refuses to touch any of it. He was eating when i got him, he even ate in the box on the way home, but he pooped and peed in the box, and he kinda rolled some lettuce into it, maybe he ate some of it? I also noticed today that he has started to sneeze a little bit. Any help would be great! He is a male russian tortoise named Sheldon, about 5 inches long :) Any help would be great!!!

Kyle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kyle:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

It might just be a need for a period of adjustment. Have you soaked the tortoise? What kind of light are you using? And is it 93 degrees all over the whole habitat? He needs to be able to cool off a bit.

towelie200

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Kyle:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

It might just be a need for a period of adjustment. Have you soaked the tortoise? What kind of light are you using? And is it 93 degrees all over the whole habitat? He needs to be able to cool off a bit.

Im using a sun glo 120w bulb, the basking side is 93 and the cool side is about 76-78.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :)

Torts are slow to adjust to change. It can take weeks not days.

I advise getting into a routine so a new tort learns what to expect and when. Start the day with lights on, heat on (use a timer!) then soak then feed.

Soaking keeps your tort hydrated which is very important if they are not eating properly... and many pet store torts are dehydrated when they're bought. It also encourages pooping.

My soaking tips are:
1. Soak in the morning before your tort warms up properly to reduce escape attempts
2. Use a high sided box or bowl that he can't see out of
3. Use enough warm (not hot) water to just come up over his plastron (undershell). Get the temp right and he'll just relax and enjoy
4. Soak for a good 20 minutes. Don't worry if you don't see him drink; torts can absorb water through the skin. The length of soak is important.
5. Your tort may wee or poop in the water; change it if it's truly disgusting. It will concern you more than your tort. Don't worry if he eats his poop; it's said to improve gut flora!
6. Feed straight after the soak. Joe always eats most straight after his bath

Incidentally Russians spend a lot of time burrowing. That is completely natural :)

towelie200

5 Year Member
thanks for all the great tips guys!! just for extra info, my tort is not from the petstore, he is from a rescue society for reptiles :) just another question, or observation, when he wakes up he kinda opens one eye, and them rotates and "plops" back onto the substrate. Maybe he doesnt like the substrate?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You said its some kind of bark. Do you know exactly what kind? Pine is harmful.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Try putting him out in the sunshine for a bit and see what he does out there. Do you have a safe place you can do this? If he kicks it into high hear, starts eating and behaving normally, then it will tell you that something is off with your indoor enclosure.

Your basking temp is a few degrees lower than what I would do, but not enough to make a big difference. It think he might just need a few days and a much bigger enclosure. Daily warm shallow soaks will definitely not hurt anything and might help a bit.

towelie200

5 Year Member
i know the bark isnt pine, i picked it up at pet-smart and the tortoise person their recommended it, but i read that they like sandy rocky enclosures, is this true?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
good advice above; consider:
1. getting your cool side down to 70 during the day, and no heat at night if your house is >60. Basking side is OK.
he might be too hot and needs to cool off a bit. It helps to put your light on a timer, on 12-14 hours per day. Put the heat/light bulb on one side of the enclosure.
2. bark chips can be too dry. Can cause runny nose/eyes.
Consider switching out to organic topsoil (home depot or lowe's) with no additive fertilizers. You can mix this with coir (comes in a brick that you rehydrate, or in bags). These will hold more moisture and are better for burrowing. There may be rocks and sandy/gravely soil in their native environment, but they can burrow down there to stay moist. You can mix the bark chips in too if you need more bulk or depth to your enclosure.
3.soak him every day for a week or so, then 2-3x per week. Those bulbs are drying, more so than the sun outside.
4. how big is your tort? 3.5' long may be ok, but a bigger adult could use more space. however, this is less critical now than #1-3
5. Tom is right; get him out in the sun, even for an hour, they love it.

Niki

5 Year Member
You obviously live in Az... I am in Scottsdale. I also have a Russian. Our temps have been perfect for her to be outside. Maybe put out in sunshine and build an outdoor enclosure if possible.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Yeah im going to build an outdoor enclosure this weekend so we can change between the indoor and outdoor enclosure. He kinda likes to burrow wherever he was last when i turn out the basking light, is that normal? Should I wait for him to wake up on his own or should I move him since he is under the basking light asleep.

this is the indoor enclosure, see how he is buried underneath the fake tree?

Attachments

• image-819546580.png
    image-819546580.png
    950.4 KB · Views: 41

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I like your enclosure. Is that cypress mulch? that is a good substrate for inside. Make sure you add some water to it. They do like a hide: how about a plastic pot or small bucket on its side, partially submerged in the substrate? Even a small box upside down with a door would work temporarily. A couple of hides are nice: one on the cool side, one midway down.

Yes, they do like to burrow at night, they will often pick an object or plant, or hide.
Just make sure your lights are on 12-14 hours per day, and come on in the am at, say, 6am. Then see what he does. He may just be shy and getting his bearings a first.
A lot of new torts won't eat for even a couple of weeks (even tho he did on the ride home). They have to make sure they are safe.

Try not to handle him too much at first: only to soak daily for a week then 2x per week, and to move him between enclosures.
Try to work into a routine if possible: light cycle, soaking time (nice if they can bask a bit first but not essential), time outside, etc.
Note: carry him outside in a small box (being carried through the air is what predators do :rolleyes: )

towelie200

5 Year Member
Thanks! The half log in the side is what i was considering his hide house, there is a water dish in there also! its just the pot saucer, which he has been taking a bath for the last 20 mins

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
he might just be adjusting, but they usually are quite active. they also can climb and escape so watch that..
do you bring him out? do so, place in front of food and see waht he does. Dont remove him, just move him out of the hidey hole. place in the water, try feeding different things to entice him.
red lettuce and slice of strawberry, butternut squash,, something with color..

towelie200

5 Year Member
After his soak, he went over to the basking side, and kinda dozed off, I picked him up placed him right in front of his food, and dozed off again. One sleepy guy :p

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Oops, didn't see the log hide. Sometimes you have to shift hides around to the spots they pick, but you can watch that.

You may have pulled your bulb up for the pic , but make sure it is close enough (12+ inches) to the back of his shell when he is on the tile and that you do have an accurate thermometer to measure temps similar to this, which you can get at home depot or walmart.
http://www.acurite.com/weather/ther...eter-with-temperature-sensor-probe-00888.html
The fact that his is soaking is a great sign, probably was dehydrated.
Another idea to perk him up is to put a smaller house bulb midway down (even a desk lamp, 75w?) to brighten up the enclosure during the day.

Be sure to look in the enclosure section for ideas for your outside enclosure.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Yeah I have a desk lamp on the opposite side of the basking light for some extra light, but it is astonishing that he hasn't pooped yet, or nibbled on his food. He still must be adapting

Status
Not open for further replies.