Russian tortoise hibernation questions.

BudderTurtle

I'm new to Russian Tortoise Hibernation and I've been doing a lot of research and i'm only hibernating my RT for 3-4 weeks. I was wondering if I could get some tips and stuff. Also should I start fasting my tort and lower the temp and daylight hours at the same time or which order do I need to do it?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I am leaving temps and lights up for a 2 week fast. Daily soaks during this time. Then cool down.

BudderTurtle

I am leaving temps and lights up for a 2 week fast. Daily soaks during this time. Then cool down.
So i don't feed my tortoise for 4 weeks? Cause fast is 2 weeks and cool down is 2 weeks right? So no food for 4 weeks?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am not sure cool down takes 2 weeks. I know @Tom says 2 weeks with normal temps, and daily soaks. Then adjust lights daily or every couple of days.

BudderTurtle

Oh okay. but I've heard some people cool down leave the temp higher than 55 degrees F then fast.
Which is the best method???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So i don't feed my tortoise for 4 weeks? Cause fast is 2 weeks and cool down is 2 weeks right? So no food for 4 weeks?

I try to make the cool down period take about 10 days. So two weeks of normal temps, soaking every other day, and no food. Then 10 days of shorter day light hours and cooler temps. Then into their individual hibernation tubs and into the fridge with temp set around 50. Then I gradually drop the fridge to 40ish over the course of another week and hold it there for the duration.

I think you should shoot for 6-8 weeks of fridge time this year. I usually do 12-14 weeks.

At the end of hibernation I gradually warm the fridge up to 50ish over a few days to a week, then bring them out into a cool dark enclosure. Cool soak the next day and a few hours of lights and temps creeping into the 70s. Within a week of coming out of the fridge they are all back up to full speed and temps, and man are they ravenous. I continue soaking every other day for a couple of weeks after hibernation, then taper off to whatever my normal routine is for that time of year and the current weather.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I try to make the cool down period take about 10 days. So two weeks of normal temps, soaking every other day, and no food. Then 10 days of shorter day light hours and cooler temps. Then into their individual hibernation tubs and into the fridge with temp set around 50. Then I gradually drop the fridge to 40ish over the course of another week and hold it there for the duration.

I think you should shoot for 6-8 weeks of fridge time this year. I usually do 12-14 weeks.

At the end of hibernation I gradually warm the fridge up to 50ish over a few days to a week, then bring them out into a cool dark enclosure. Cool soak the next day and a few hours of lights and temps creeping into the 70s. Within a week of coming out of the fridge they are all back up to full speed and temps, and man are they ravenous. I continue soaking every other day for a couple of weeks after hibernation, then taper off to whatever my normal routine is for that time of year and the current weather.
How much weight loss is normal during the two weeks of normal temps and no food?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much weight loss is normal during the two weeks of normal temps and no food?

I don't check that carefully, but after they've voided their bowels and they are empty, the weight doesn't change much. And i only see a few grams difference over the course of 3 months of hibernation at the right temps.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes they even gain weight.

Harri

10 Year Member!
Bellingham,Northumberland. U.K.
Harri is two and a half years old, weighs 398 grams and 115 mm long. He is kept indoors in a vivarium. Despite temperatures remaining the same he is going into 'hibernation mode' (not eating, sleeping lots) Ideally I would rather not hibernate him, but have been following hibernation guidelines, he's had no food for 2 weeks but frequent baths. He seems fine once I wake him to bathe. I have been gradually shortening his days and heat. Would it be harmful to leave him in his own vivarium over winter without him eating as the temperature doesnt get below 73 F daytime 65 nightime. I kind of let him do this last year (without lights) but only let him go about three weeks without disturbing him. Not sure which way to go on this. Harri is healthy and male.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Letting them sleep without proper temps is not healthy. Their metabolism does not slow down enough. Causing them to burn too much energy..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Harri is two and a half years old, weighs 398 grams and 115 mm long. He is kept indoors in a vivarium. Despite temperatures remaining the same he is going into 'hibernation mode' (not eating, sleeping lots) Ideally I would rather not hibernate him, but have been following hibernation guidelines, he's had no food for 2 weeks but frequent baths. He seems fine once I wake him to bathe. I have been gradually shortening his days and heat. Would it be harmful to leave him in his own vivarium over winter without him eating as the temperature doesnt get below 73 F daytime 65 nightime. I kind of let him do this last year (without lights) but only let him go about three weeks without disturbing him. Not sure which way to go on this. Harri is healthy and male.

65-73 is much too warm. That is not hibernation. What you are doing sounds good, but you'll need much cooler temps for him to last weeks or months this way. I hibernate my russians around 40 degrees F for about 12-14 weeks each year. I use a fridge. Mine are similar in size and age to yours.

Harri

10 Year Member!
Bellingham,Northumberland. U.K.
Thanks Tom, managed to come across one of your in depth posts after I had written mine. I also noticed Yvonne doesnt hibernate her under fives. Im waiting for a new min/max thermometer from amazon to arrive in the next few days to check whether I have anywhere cool enough to hibernate him (fridge not possible this year) If nowhere is suitably cold enough would you recommend waking him up ? I understand that if I persist in placing Harri under his light and daily bathing and encouraging him to eat he will eventually give up trying to hibernate and carry on as normal. What are your views on this ? Thanks again, Marie