Russian Tortoise in Maryland ??

Sturn

Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore
Hello. I want to get a really special gift for my 9-year-old son for Christmas...a Russian Tortoise. I don't want to go to a pet store, but hopefully somewhere local. They are hard to find- I have tried. Where can I get a healthy male Russian Tortoise hatchling in Maryland for my son for Christmas? Thanks

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Hello. I want to get a really special gift for my 9-year-old son for Christmas...a Russian Tortoise. I don't want to go to a pet store, but hopefully somewhere local. They are hard to find- I have tried. Where can I get a healthy male Russian Tortoise hatchling in Maryland for my son for Christmas? Thanks
You may get more response if you post in the Wanted section of the forum.

Is there any way you can arrange to get the enclosure and supplies for Christmas, then get the hatchling a little bit later? Maybe you could even get some seeds to start growing food for the future tortoise while you're waiting.

It would be worth it in the long run to get a captive bred, well started hatchling, even if you have to wait a few months. You'd probably head off both guilt (if you bought a wild caught tortoise instead) and heartache (if it wasn't started right and/or had underlying health issues) that way.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings fellow Marylander...

Pastel Tortie has a really good idea up there, get everything & wrap things & then read up & study & grow plants & get ready for the new tortoise. Make sure you read up on the Russian section, they really should have a 4 x 8 ft enclosure, ‘cause they are roamers!

Sources..

✅ routinely check in with MATTS - https://www.matts-turtles.org/

✅ and also register with PetFinder - https://www.petfinder.com/

Getting a “local” hatchling might prove difficult. Be prepared to wait & search or be happy as well with an adult.

Good luck!