Russian tortoise is being Dr. Destructo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cally

5 Year Member
Hi- so i just adopted my new russian male tort and i have already discovered so much about him in one week. However i have so many questions and un sure of a few things he does. He has been peeing like almost every single time i take him out of his cage. Hes in a 40 gallon with the glass covered and shows no probs like bumping into the sides- he has a uvb and a uva light a basking one and sand mixed underneath his wood chips. he really enjoys soft things, like blankets, pillows, etc. ive had him for a week now and i can only get him to eat spring mix, and leaves/ weeds outside. He says no to carrots,apple, kale, tomatoes... But he poops everyday and more than once! He leaves turds everywhere!! Im un sure of his age or anything right now!! Any help would be soo appreciated!! ImageUploadedByTortForum1372521999.202731.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1372522014.461344.jpg

Also he is very easy going and rubs his head and neck up against mine, he will fall asleep on my shoulder or chest- he does a lot of them puffing sounds when i try to feed him something he doesn't like- he just loves to run around the whole upstairs and discover new things, also his one front claw is longer than the rest and kinda pointy so when he walks its like he walks on the point and u can hear it on the floor- his front claws arent as easy as the back to see the quick ... :/

He has already pooped 5 times today- nothing white- just lil brown turdlets :/ sounds silly but true??!

Cally- russian tort

Any suggestions would help?! Also i literally just downloaded this app when looking up my questions online so idk if I'm doing it correctly lol/ embarrassing- it said to introduce myself before asking questions so i guess i prolly shoulda started with that- my name is cally im 23 yrs old and live in ohio- yes i kno its rough to keep my russian perfectly happy here :/ but i literally just adopted my russian one week ago and his name is Kale :)

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Re: [split] New to the Forum

The first pic of Kale shows a pretty short tail. I think you have a female. Post a picture of Kale's underside including the tail and we can tell you for sure. ;)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

cally

5 Year Member
[split] New to the Forum

Like put kale upside down on his/her back? Will he/ she get upset with me

Cally- Russian Tort <3

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372526316.278271.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1372526331.386939.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1372526344.053449.jpg will these also help any??

Cally- Russian Tort <3

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372526375.954301.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1372526389.704914.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1372526407.251502.jpg oh my im feeln sad that i dont know what to make kale feel the best!! I would love to know his/her age !!? Thank you so so much!! :]

Cally- Russian Tort <3

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372526536.513614.jpg sorry very blurry

Cally- Russian Tort <3

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372526569.643708.jpg this is when he semi tucks it in- or she lol

Cally- Russian Tort <3

He/ she also came and nibbled on my pants gently a few times while running around ??

Cally- Russian Tort <3

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372526692.366342.jpg

Cally- Russian Tort <3

So what do i need to kno about kale being a female instead of a male??

Cally- Russian Tort <3

cally

5 Year Member
[split] Help - Russian is being Destructo!

Hey! Anyone that can help please! My russian is freaking out destroying his cage- ive tried everything- he is literally popping and peeing everywhere ! Idk what to do?? PleAse help

Cally- Russian Tort <3

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372614552.958407.jpg. I also have a 50 gallon fish tank but no way to mount or use the lights ??

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: [split] New to the Forum

Most wild tortoises will pee when you pick them up. It's a defense mechanism.

cally

5 Year Member
[split] New to the Forum

He didnt this time- but he is literally freaking out and hates his cage

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: [split] Help - Russian is being Destructo!

Welcome to the World of Tortoises! Guess what? They poop, and they pee!!! If you feed and water them, they poop and pee. The only way to stop them doing that is to stop feeding and watering them.

As every animal keeper has learned over the ages, if you're going to have an animal, whether dog, horse or tortoise, you have to clean up after it. Personally, I pick up dog poop several times a day. And every time I walk by a pen that has a tort poop showing, I stop what I'm doing and get the rake and shovel and pick that up too. This is just a fact of life.

When you see that Kale Destructo has pooped, just grab a Kleenex and pick it up.

If he's destroying his habitat by digging and barrelling through the furniture, that may stop as he settles into a routine. But your 50 gallon aquarium isn't really big enough for a Russian tortoise that size. That might be another reason why he's acting like Dr. Destructo. He needs more room.

Your light problem can be solved by buying a lamp stand. I have two of them that I use occasionally when I have to have an indoor habitat. They work great. Here's a picture:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255OUO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Another thing that just sprang to mind...

If you keep taking him out of his habitat, he's going to want to be out of it all the time. Leave him in there and let him get used to having a home and his own territory.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You have a Russian tortoise. They are very active. They like digging and climbing and they need lots of space to roam.

Your vivarium is too small. That is why your tort is getting so stressed trying to escape. Your tort needs to be moved into a larger enclosure... a "tortoise table" (a bookshelf with the shelves knocked out makes a good table) or preferably an outdoor enclosure.

Your tort is clearly eating and drinking properly. Well done :) The effect of this is that they poop... and torts seem to poop a huge amount in relation to their size... as you are finding out.

Torts get stressed very easily. Regularly removing him from his enclosure for anything other that a soak will not help with stress levels. Your tort should be left in his enclosure except when absolutely necessary. Torts are not like dogs. They are not social animals. They don't get lonely and don't need, or want, company. A solitary tort is an unstressed and happy tort.

cally

5 Year Member
Omgosh thank you so much! Lots of great info!

Cally- Russian Tort <3

I need so much help with with kale right now but he loves ppl and he sleeps on me?? How old do you think kale is? Ive been wondering?? Also what should i provide in the enclosure once i find an old bookshelf lol

Cally- Russian Tort <3

The people were obviously wrong with whatever info they gave me :( they said he wont poop in his enclosure until u soak him and that all i needed is whAt they showed me to purchase :( that enclosure

Cally- Russian Tort <3

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tort loves warmth, that's what he is attracted to. You are warm which is why he will go there. Torts really don't love people. You need to take care not to put human emotions on a tortoise,

As for age, it is impossible to tell. They all grow at different rates depending on diet, environment and whether they are wild caught or captive bred. Any age is a guess unless you know the hatch date.

cally

5 Year Member
Thank u so much for ur link!! The lamp stand will work perfectly

Cally- Russian Tort <3

So russians really dont like to be around us :( and what all can i feed him... I live in ohio:/ he has at spring mix that i gave him and today he is running around the garden... So now i have to figure out an enclosure for inside.. Because ohios weather isnt warm enuf and he needs his lamps... Right now he is trying to chew on a big piece of mulch? And sniffing new things... Also idk kales gender its back n fourth female to male... How big do russians get??

Cally- Russian Tort <3

He loves the outside and walks around the upstairs , its sad to kno that he doesnt like to be personal :(

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Kale is also eating and loving cactus omggosh???ImageUploadedByTortForum1372624000.447682.jpg

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Status
Not open for further replies.