Russian Tortoise keeps crashing!

Galensmom

Location (City and/or State)
Redford, MI
Hi! I joined this group because I am at my wits end! Live here in Michigan, have a Russian Tortoise, Galen, who is about 10 years old right now. His enclosure is pretty big (i refurbished an old microwave cart) and he was pretty content until about 8 mos ago. His home is presently in my home office and from the minute I go in to work, he starts crashing against the sides...constantly! Put him on the floor to roam around, again put himself in the corner and starts the crashing! Bottom line...someone advised me they reach sexual maturity at 10 and he needs a friend or try to find something to spice up his life?!?! Ok, like really?? for a tortoise?? Question-how do you spice up a tortoises life!?!? Put new scenery in his enclosure, changed his food, give him walks outside when nice out, turned on music. I'm out of options! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Oh and heat lamp is usually at 80ish..he has all the luxuries of a hotel in his home (climbing things, ramps, hiding spots, water, lots of subtrate on floor).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One thing to note: Once a tortoise realizes there's more to his world than what's inside his four walls (letting him out to wander the floor), then he's never happy having to stay cooped up in those 4 walls every again. Regardless, your tortoise is showing classic signs of a tortoise that's trying to get out and away. This is the time of year Russian tortoises start thinking about brumation. It might be he wants to find a safe brumation spot, or it just might be he wants a different territory. You're not going to like my suggestion.

Look at yard and garage sales to find a 4 or 5 shelf book case. If it comes with a cardboard back, make a plywood back for it instead. Lay it on its back. Remove the shelves and line it with plastic. Add several inches of substrate (you may need to make a lip all around if the substrate makes the sides too short) and decorate it however you like.

Or, allow him to brumate.

Galensmom

Redford, MI
This enclosure i made is 4 1/2 ft long by 2 ft wide. Do you think its still too small? Sigh...if so, I will look for something bigger. What type of substrate do you suggest? I've been using Zoo MedRepti Bark Bedding.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's good substrate, but too expensive to fill a large enclosure. We usually recommend an indoor russian enclosure to be around 4'x8'