Russian tortoise lethargic and not eating

nefosaur

Location (City and/or State)
Oxford
I’m becoming increasingly worried about my Russian tortoise and would really like some insight from experienced tortoise keepers as I don’t know anyone else who has them. I rescued him from a family member who didn’t have time for him 4 years ago and he is 5 now.

He is very lethargic and I haven’t seen him eat properly in months. I drag him out of his hide every day and place him in front of fresh weeds and greens, but he has no interest and goes straight back to bed. If I don’t get him out, he does not emerge by himself. Very rarely I see him attempt to take a bite of something but it’s as if he doesn’t have the strength to rip it off so he gives up. The last time I saw him eat was a tiny mouthful of dandelion flower about a week ago and I don’t remember the time before that. I wonder if he could be struggling in part because I trimmed his beak a few months ago? I soak him once a week and he passes what I think is normal white urates, and sometimes poop.

This behaviour started about 3 months ago when he was living in his indoor enclosure. I made him an outdoor enclosure hoping that being out in the fresh air would help, but the behaviour hasn’t changed. He has lived outside for about 1 month now. It is the end of British summer so it is mild outside. I thought when he was indoors that he could be overheating under his mercury vapour UV+UVB lamp, but now he’s out in the cool, it’s no different.

I am worried sick for the little man. I don’t know of any exotic vets nearby and have no savings but if this sounds serious I will do everything I can to get him treatment. I just want to see him back to his old self. Thank you for reading.

nefosaur

Oxford
Hi,

Send us a picture of your setup. We can go from there!

This is his outdoor setup where he has been living for about 1 month. It measures 114cm in diameter, about 11 square foot. Thank you.

Attachments

• 835AC1B1-3DEB-4864-BF1D-9B14139D3D5A.jpeg
    835AC1B1-3DEB-4864-BF1D-9B14139D3D5A.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
@nefosaur
What ever happened with this situation? My tortoise is exhibiting the same symptoms.
All I can tell you is that this is a really very good tortoise site with excellent people of knowledge and experience, and that you should make sure that you are following all the rules for this species regarding enclosure, temperature, humidity level and diet. If you are AOK with all these factors and the tortoise is still not thriving, then a visit to a reputable herp/tortoise vet is the next thing.

vrbart

Randolph
All I can tell you is that this is a really very good tortoise site with excellent people of knowledge and experience, and that you should make sure that you are following all the rules for this species regarding enclosure, temperature, humidity level and diet. If you are AOK with all these factors and the tortoise is still not thriving, then a visit to a reputable herp/tortoise vet is the next thing.
Thanks, yes I'm so grateful for this community! I posted a different thread and got some really helpful responses.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Start a new thread with all your details. This one is four years old.