Russian tortoise living outside not eating!!

Amy12345678z

Location (City and/or State)
I have my russian tortoise for two and half years. He is actually my parents' friend tortoise (I'm a high school student). My parents' friend had him for a month and she didn't want it, so she gave to my family (She kept the tortoise in a very small plastic box and feed them iceberg lettuce). But my parents don't let me buy an indoor enclosure for the tortoise, because they are like $100......so I tried my best to build an outdoor enclosure for my tortoise, but other than that, I don't know what else I can do. I live in south california, and I know sometimes the weather is not really good for tortoise, but all I can do is to put soil in the enclosure so he can dig a hole and warm himself. Usually he stop eating aroung october or november, I wouldn't say that is hibernation because the weather is like 59 F at night. But he usually starts eating on April. But this year, which is the third year, he stop eating oin September (85 F in the morning and 65 in the evening), or only eating a little in August. He is always sleeping, this happen when I have him. These days he always sleep and not eating. I really don't know what can I do to help him. As a high school student, I can't take him to the vet and I can't buy him a $100 enclosure. Are there any ideas what I can do rn? My tortoise is a male and he is about 4.7 inches. His diet is zoomed tortoise food combined with bok choy, or chinese cabbage. I know I'm a bad owner and I feel sorry for him but if I get my own money I would buy all those things.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi there Amy. Thank you for caring for the little tortoise. I think someone more experienced than I am with these tortoises:) will come along here very soon to help you out!
If you really want to keep him, we will need to see some pictures if you can post a few on this site? If you feel you cannot manage to keep him as he should be kept, perhaps you can give him to someone who can better care for him. Good luck!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I have my russian tortoise for two and half years. He is actually my parents' friend tortoise (I'm a high school student). My parents' friend had him for a month and she didn't want it, so she gave to my family (She kept the tortoise in a very small plastic box and feed them iceberg lettuce). But my parents don't let me buy an indoor enclosure for the tortoise, because they are like $100......so I tried my best to build an outdoor enclosure for my tortoise, but other than that, I don't know what else I can do. I live in south california, and I know sometimes the weather is not really good for tortoise, but all I can do is to put soil in the enclosure so he can dig a hole and warm himself. Usually he stop eating aroung october or november, I wouldn't say that is hibernation because the weather is like 59 F at night. But he usually starts eating on April. But this year, which is the third year, he stop eating oin September (85 F in the morning and 65 in the evening), or only eating a little in August. He is always sleeping, this happen when I have him. These days he always sleep and not eating. I really don't know what can I do to help him. As a high school student, I can't take him to the vet and I can't buy him a $100 enclosure. Are there any ideas what I can do rn? My tortoise is a male and he is about 4.7 inches. His diet is zoomed tortoise food combined with bok choy, or chinese cabbage. I know I'm a bad owner and I feel sorry for him but if I get my own money I would buy all those things.
Would your parents be willing to help with an indoor enclosure if it was cheaper? You can get an old free bookshelf from Craigslist and turn it into an enclosure. People give bookshelves away all the time. You could put dirt from outside in it and you can buy a heat lamp from a hardware store. Usually about $10. If you take her outside on warm days you won’t need a UV light.

Amy12345678z

Would your parents be willing to help with an indoor enclosure if it was cheaper? You can get an old free bookshelf from Craigslist and turn it into an enclosure. People give bookshelves away all the time. You could put dirt from outside in it and you can buy a heat lamp from a hardware store. Usually about $10. If you take her outside on warm days you won’t need a UV light.
I think that work!
I was thinking to buy a cement mixing tube from homedepot, but idk if that is the reason he is not eating anything? i m worried even i put him inside he still doesn't want to eat.