Russian Tortoise looking for Northern California home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancee

5 Year Member
We found a Russian tortoise in our driveway a couple of weeks ago and have not been successful locating where she came from. We are happy to care for her temporarily, but are not able to make her a permanent resident in our home.

I would like to find a safe, caring tortoise home for her - no breeding, selling sort of situation. I understand that Russians are a bit aggressive and do not do well in groups, so this would need to be taken into consideration.

We are located in Benicia (near Vallejo), so a location somewhere within a reasonable distance of the SF Bay Area is preferred. I do not want to ship her.

Look forward to hearing any suggestions. Many thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Nancy:

Can you post a couple pictures of the tortoise showing her top side looking straight down on her, and her bottom side also looking straigt down?

I'm sure you will find someone to take the tortoise. We have many members in your area.

Nancee

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Hi Nancy:

Can you post a couple pictures of the tortoise showing her top side looking straight down on her, and her bottom side also looking straigt down?

I'm sure you will find someone to take the tortoise. We have many members in your area.

Hello - I cannot figure out how to attach a photo. I'll keep working on it. Thanks - Nancy.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I am in the central valley near sacramento. You are about an hour from me. Could you possibly meet me half way? I have had russians continuously for nearly 20 years and consider myself a good knowledgable keeper. I can be contacted here or at [email protected].

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Hope you find a good home for him or her... If not I might know someone who can care for it! It's from a tortoise breeder I know from Sacramento! His he has a huge back yard full of torts! From Greeks to Russian. Redfoot to sulcatas... And many more! Let me know if you still can't find a good home for him/her... Ill contact him and would gladly drive from San Francisco to Vallejo to Sacramento to give it a new home...

Nancee

5 Year Member
kanalomele said:
I am in the central valley near sacramento. You are about an hour from me. Could you possibly meet me half way? I have had russians continuously for nearly 20 years and consider myself a good knowledgable keeper. I can be contacted here or at [email protected].

Hello and thanks for the message. i am hoping to find a single-tortoise home situation for this tortoise. But am looking at all possitilbities. Can you tell me a bit about your set up? Do you sell tortoises? Thanks very much. - Nancee

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
May I ask why you are looking for a single tortoise home? Most of the people here are all tortoise owners which is why we are here. I understand you not wanting a breeder situation but not all of us are breeders and having more then one tort should not be an issue. Experience is always a good thing.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
littlestella said:
May I ask why you are looking for a single tortoise home? Most of the people here are all tortoise owners which is why we are here. I understand you not wanting a breeder situation but not all of us are breeders and having more then one tort should not be an issue. Experience is always a good thing.

I agree. Yes it would be nice to find him an owner that can focus only on him but try to understand, breeders do this for a living! They know what they are doing! They know how to treat them if they are sick to what to feed them for their daily nutrition. If you want whats best for the tort, rescue center or the breeders are my best advise. But to each its own I guess.

Nancee

5 Year Member
Jlant85 said:
littlestella said:

I agree. Yes it would be nice to find him an owner that can focus only on him but try to understand, breeders do this for a living! They know what they are doing! They know how to treat them if they are sick to what to feed them for their daily nutrition. If you want whats best for the tort, rescue center or the breeders are my best advise. But to each its own I guess.

Yes, you both make good points and you both sound like you know a LOT about tortoises and care about them. Sorry if I came off sounding so opinionated. I think my family and I have become very protective of this little tortoise (5" long). Thank you for your messages. I'll let you know what we decide to do.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I operate the Central Valley turtle and tortoise rescue league. I have several permanent resident Russians and have just moved into a new property selected for the sole purpose of quadrupling my tortoise enclosures. Which by any standards were very large to begin with. Russians were my first tortoises (whom I actually still have) nearly 20 years ago. Over the years I have rescued and rehabilitated many species of tort and aquatic turtles. I am very active in my local club and here on the TFO. I do have hatchlings that are presold from a very long waiting list of families. I participate in studies expanding our knowledge of captive keeping and volunteer at a wildlife rescue rehabilitating turtles and tortoises they get in.
All of my tortoises get a pure non processed food diet of weeds, plants and grasses. Today I planted their new enclosures with seeds they can graze from naturally.
I can understand completely if you truly want a family without any other torts for your little one. I can promise you it is highly unlikely you will find that family here on tfo. Through my rescue I am able to place tortoises with waiting single tort families. If that is truly your desire I may also be able to offer my assistance. If you would like to come and see my enclosures for yourself you are welcome to. You can contact me at [email protected]

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
kanalomele said:
I operate the Central Valley turtle and tortoise rescue league. I have several permanent resident Russians and have just moved into a new property selected for the sole purpose of quadrupling my tortoise enclosures. Which by any standards were very large to begin with. Russians were my first tortoises (whom I actually still have) nearly 20 years ago. Over the years I have rescued and rehabilitated many species of tort and aquatic turtles. I am very active in my local club and here on the TFO. I do have hatchlings that are presold from a very long waiting list of families. I participate in studies expanding our knowledge of captive keeping and volunteer at a wildlife rescue rehabilitating turtles and tortoises they get in.
All of my tortoises get a pure non processed food diet of weeds, plants and grasses. Today I planted their new enclosures with seeds they can graze from naturally.
I can understand completely if you truly want a family without any other torts for your little one. I can promise you it is highly unlikely you will find that family here on tfo. Through my rescue I am able to place tortoises with waiting single tort families. If that is truly your desire I may also be able to offer my assistance. If you would like to come and see my enclosures for yourself you are welcome to. You can contact me at [email protected]

YO! I WANT IN THE CLUB! I've been looking for a club in the bay area but cant seem to find one! Do you do babysitting? =P I just want to be prepared just in case i have to travel =P

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Unfortunately there really isnt a very active club in the bay. The Central Valley Herpetological society is probably one of the bigger ones. The Sacramento turtle and tortoise club is very active and has been in continuous operation since the 70's. Check out www.turtlebunker.com and our facebook page. Several of our members have very active facebook pages as well. Including myself. The club has well attended meetings 4times a year and holds a annual turtlerama for the public. Where we educate people and display our animals to a very large crowd. All are welcome and the sacramento club has hundreds of members from all over several states.

I will do some babysitting. It depends on the species for having them here. But in home sitting is available in some cases.

ShellHead

5 Year Member
Nancee said:
We found a Russian tortoise in our driveway a couple of weeks ago and have not been successful locating where she came from. We are happy to care for her temporarily, but are not able to make her a permanent resident in our home.

I would like to find a safe, caring tortoise home for her - no breeding, selling sort of situation. I understand that Russians are a bit aggressive and do not do well in groups, so this would need to be taken into consideration.

We are located in Benicia (near Vallejo), so a location somewhere within a reasonable distance of the SF Bay Area is preferred. I do not want to ship her.

Look forward to hearing any suggestions. Many thanks!

Are you giving the tortoise away? I am in the bay area and am willing to adopt it as a pet.

Nancee

5 Year Member
Belated responses to all who inquired about the Russian Tortoise we had found this spring. Thanks to you all. During this time our family fell in love with her - we've named her Edna, and she's become part of our family. We knew this would be a commitment, because torts live a LONG time, and also because we are anticipating a cross country move in the next couple of years.

We've built her a large enclosure full of tunnels, weeds, grasses, and rocks in our back yard, and also let her run free when we're out there to keep an eye on her.

We've had a great summer with Edna and look forward to many more. Thank you all for your advice and kind offers of assistance. - Nancy

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
That is great news! Congratulations on your new family member!

Status
Not open for further replies.