Russian tortoise making weird squeaking noises and keeps hiding in his shell

Kaycelyn

Location (City and/or State)
CT
I have a Russian tortoise that I've had for a little over two years now ( not sure how old it is). He keeps making these really weird squeaking noises for no apparent reason. He has been fed already and has plenty of water. He's just sitting in his enclosure making these noises for about 15 minutes now. He's never really done this before so how can I help him?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I have a Russian tortoise that I've had for a little over two years now ( not sure how old it is). He keeps making these really weird squeaking noises for no apparent reason. He has been fed already and has plenty of water. He's just sitting in his enclosure making these noises for about 15 minutes now. He's never really done this before so how can I help him?

Here is a care sheet from @Tom
Hope it helps..... and posts?
Good luck...
? ?❤️

Kaycelyn

CT

Here is a care sheet from @Tom
Hope it helps..... and posts?
Good luck...
? ?❤
Thanks for sharing that. It didn’t really say why he would be making weird noises but it gave me some more good general knowledge

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Sometimes squeaks and breathing sounds are signs of a respiratory infection.

Does he have any bubbles coming from his nose?
Is he active and eating well?
Check your temps in his enclosure. Is he warm enough? Are you keeping him in a humid enclosure?

The care sheet linked above is good, but it has been updated. Here is the new one. Check it for proper temps.

Kaycelyn

CT
Sometimes squeaks and breathing sounds are signs of a respiratory infection.

Does he have any bubbles coming from his nose?
Is he active and eating well?
Check your temps in his enclosure. Is he warm enough? Are you keeping him in a humid enclosure?

The care sheet linked above is good, but it has been updated. Here is the new one. Check it for proper temps.

He didn’t have any bubbles coming from his nose and he has been fairly active and he eats well. His behavior has been normal before last night and since then he seems fine. Temps are usually in the 70s and I can’t get them any higher

Kaycelyn

CT
Made him a vet appointment for tomorrow, I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks to all who helped me out!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Made him a vet appointment for tomorrow, I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks to all who helped me out!

if you can avoid shots please do so.
just try to get meds and advice.
Then come on here and ask if the meds are good.
I got my tortoise a vitamin A shot once and her leg has not been the same. It has a lump in it.. shots are not good.
Be careful.
I am saying prayers for you tonight all goes well at the doctors tomorrow. ?❤️
He/she will be just fine.. don’t worry ..

Kaycelyn

CT
if you can avoid shots please do so.
just try to get meds and advice.
Then come on here and ask if the meds are good.
I got my tortoise a vitamin A shot once and her leg has not been the same. It has a lump in it.. shots are not good.
Be careful.
I am saying prayers for you tonight all goes well at the doctors tomorrow. ?❤
He/she will be just fine.. don’t worry ..
Thanks for the advice and prayers. I actually talked to Tom from this site and I made the decision to cancel the poointement because he’s acting as he would normally and hasn’t make any weird noises.