Russian Tortoise Not Eating or Defecating Normally

Sunshie

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hi wonderful tortoise people!
I have a 5-10 year old Russian Tortoise who has been with me for a little over 2 years. He's been an easy going, grumpy, old man and we have an indoor and outdoor enclosure for him. I also grow most of his summer diet myself. He's always been a slightly picky but good eater and pooper.
Starting in May/June this year though, he stopped eating as well and in June we went 3 1/2 weeks without defecation. We do long soaks 2-3 times a week and I did take him in for a beak trim in the end of June. At which point he broke his pooping hiatus with a stress poop. Apparently he looked good and his beak was really in decent shape.
But he's really just not interested in eating, even foods he used to love. I grow coleus, nasturtium, snap dragon, zinnia, cucumber (leaves), polka dot plant, calendulum, basil, dandelions, plantain, wild violet, wild garlic and a few others for him that he used to love. Also hosta, spider plant and some that he's always ignored. He gets mostly a spring green and dandelion mix with mazuri and whatever else I can find at the grocery in the winter. Occasionally, I serve some romaine with his calcium powder because he'll eat it and we can play target games with it. (Nothing else is high value enough to convince him to be stupid with the human.)
Anyways, I feel like he is getting less and less interested in food. Thoughts? Suggestions? Soak him everyday? Back to the vet? I am feeling at my wit's end and while we have a great exotic vet semi local, they haven't proved themselves great with tortoises before. (I get the lecture at every check up that he needs to be on different substrate so he doesn't poke an eye out. They suggest just paper towels or CareFresh which is used for hamsters.)
Thank you!
Sunshie and Killian J

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well first I wouldn't ever take him back to that vet.
Second, what are the temps? Don't say what you know them to be, double check them and be sure they are what they should be.
Basking-95-100
All over 75-80
Night no heat as long as it stays 60 or above.
Size of enclosure? Minimum is a 4x8 of course larger if possible. Exercise keeps things inside working right.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi wonderful tortoise people!
I have a 5-10 year old Russian Tortoise who has been with me for a little over 2 years. He's been an easy going, grumpy, old man and we have an indoor and outdoor enclosure for him. I also grow most of his summer diet myself. He's always been a slightly picky but good eater and pooper.
Starting in May/June this year though, he stopped eating as well and in June we went 3 1/2 weeks without defecation. We do long soaks 2-3 times a week and I did take him in for a beak trim in the end of June. At which point he broke his pooping hiatus with a stress poop. Apparently he looked good and his beak was really in decent shape.
But he's really just not interested in eating, even foods he used to love. I grow coleus, nasturtium, snap dragon, zinnia, cucumber (leaves), polka dot plant, calendulum, basil, dandelions, plantain, wild violet, wild garlic and a few others for him that he used to love. Also hosta, spider plant and some that he's always ignored. He gets mostly a spring green and dandelion mix with mazuri and whatever else I can find at the grocery in the winter. Occasionally, I serve some romaine with his calcium powder because he'll eat it and we can play target games with it. (Nothing else is high value enough to convince him to be stupid with the human.)
Anyways, I feel like he is getting less and less interested in food. Thoughts? Suggestions? Soak him everyday? Back to the vet? I am feeling at my wit's end and while we have a great exotic vet semi local, they haven't proved themselves great with tortoises before. (I get the lecture at every check up that he needs to be on different substrate so he doesn't poke an eye out. They suggest just paper towels or CareFresh which is used for hamsters.)
Thank you!
Sunshie and Killian J
What is his current substrate ? Could anything be causing intestinal problems.?
Angie

Sunshie

Virginia
Well first I wouldn't ever take him back to that vet.
Second, what are the temps? Don't say what you know them to be, double check them and be sure they are what they should be.
Basking-95-100
All over 75-80
Night no heat as long as it stays 60 or above.
Size of enclosure? Minimum is a 4x8 of course larger if possible. Exercise keeps things inside working right.
I am getting a read on his basking side as my thermometer on that side is out of batteries. All over is 76. His table is 4x 2 1/2. His outdoor enclosure is 10x10.
I will try to get him out more. It didn't occur to me that the change in my work schedule, changing his outdoor time might be part of it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Inside enclosure is much too small. Minimum is 4x8. With proper size enclosure proper varied temps can be given.
Also why can't you leave him outside 24/7 at least during summer?

Sunshie

Virginia
Inside enclosure is much too small. Minimum is 4x8. With proper size enclosure proper varied temps can be given.
Also why can't you leave him outside 24/7 at least during summer?
Unfortunately, I don't have space for a larger enclosure where I live now. Inside at least.
It's safe to leave him out 24/7? I got a bunch of lectures about predators and escaped tortoise and local box turtles spreading disease from the folks I got him from... His enclosure goes a foot underground and a foot up. I also buried cement blocks around the base of my 7ft yard fence to keep things out but also to grow dandelions in like planters. It was suggested to build a top for the enclosure if he was out for long periods because of raptors. I can do that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes you can have him out in summer. What most of us do is to lock them up at night. With proper weeds or plant coverage most bird predators won't bother them unless hatchling. I have both hawks and falcons, skunks, coons, fox, coyote, rats and never one has bothered my Russian. Rabbits probably are my biggest problem as they dig holes under fences to get into my yards. I have to keep checking that they didn't dig one mine can use to escape.
They do climb really well. Mine once went straight up a tree. So you do want to make sure they can dig out or climb out.
As for inside, put a second level on the enclosure or brumate him for winter if you can't give more room. I don't brumate so I can't help with how to do that.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
He is probably pooing and your not seeing it. Check your heat temp and diet and also start weekly weight checks and keep a log, this helps see weight gain / loss. Heat helps digestion. Are you soaking this tortoise in a high sided container in warm shallow water? Soaking is imperative for hydration, exercise and hygiene.

Sunshie

Virginia
Yes you can have him out in summer. What most of us do is to lock them up at night. With proper weeds or plant coverage most bird predators won't bother them unless hatchling. I have both hawks and falcons, skunks, coons, fox, coyote, rats and never one has bothered my Russian. Rabbits probably are my biggest problem as they dig holes under fences to get into my yards. I have to keep checking that they didn't dig one mine can use to escape.
They do climb really well. Mine once went straight up a tree. So you do want to make sure they can dig out or climb out.
As for inside, put a second level on the enclosure or brumate him for winter if you can't give more room. I don't brumate so I can't help with how to do that.
Oh! I am looking up 2 story enclosures now! So cool. We can definitely build one by expanding his current habitat. Thank you!

Sunshie

Virginia
He is probably pooing and your not seeing it. Check your heat temp and diet and also start weekly weight checks and keep a log, this helps see weight gain / loss. Heat helps digestion. Are you soaking this tortoise in a high sided container in warm shallow water? Soaking is imperative for hydration, exercise and hygiene.
I’ve been sifting through his table and not seeing anything but as you say, it’s easy to miss. He does ride the mile to work with me one a month or so and he definitely poops in my office. His table is 92F on one side and 76F on the other. We soak 2-3 time weekly in a tall sided cat litter pan (only ever used by tortoises 😋). About an inch of warm water.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I’ve been sifting through his table and not seeing anything but as you say, it’s easy to miss. He does ride the mile to work with me one a month or so and he definitely poops in my office. His table is 92F on one side and 76F on the other. We soak 2-3 time weekly in a tall sided cat litter pan (only ever used by tortoises 😋). About an inch of warm water.
95-100 for basking. Then the rest of the enclosure should vary from 75 to 80. No heat at night if it stays 60 or above.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Good re soaking. I soak before any food in the morning and duration is between 30 and 1 hour. Normally near the hour I have waste in the water.

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
He could be poopping outside in the outdoor enclosure, no?