Russian tortoise on the Loose

Niki

5 Year Member
I have a kinda odd question regarding my Russian "Greta's" behavior. I live in Az where are temp was close to 90 degrees yesterday. She lives outside in her enclosure where she will hibernate in her borrow I built for her. With our unseasonable warm weather, she woke up early. She has been up since middle of January.
Here is problem... I have been letting her roam free in my backyard so she can get more sun during day. She is determined to get out of backyard. Only in the direction east. It's like she wants to migrate or something. Last spring she escaped yard and headed east down street and my neighbor found her. I am so lucky to have her back. Well... She escaped again and headed the same way. I have now fixed the gate and she can't escape,but spends majority of day trying. She has even flipped over twice. Thank G-d I found her! Is this normal? It's like she has spring fever or something! Please someone tell me what to do!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Yes, Russians have the desire to roam and very often earn their reputation as great escape artists.

Jackjames

I have a russian and hes been crazy last couple of weeks trying to climb his enclosure its good to see him active as hes been tucking himself away since we got him. We get him out and let him run around now. Good to know this is general nature of russians