10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
OOPS I was wrong. BOY lol Thanks Chris

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Cam, you have 100% have a MALE Testudo graeca terrestris. Otherwise known as the golden greek although this one is not a golden, it is a terrestris from a different locality.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ooooppps! But he sure is a handsome guy. Are you disappointed in that? His not being Russian I mean? By the way, those are wonderful pictures.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I think when it comes down to it, Greek's are a bit harder to find (compared to Russians, which seem very common), aren't they? I think you've got a good buy there (personally)!

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
My only dissapointment is that he was labeled as an RT and that is what I had been researching. My biggest concern is that he is most likely WC.
I was wanting CB to support breeders and to leave the other wild guys in the wild (since I just wanted a pet and am not tryong to build a breeding group etc). I also have big concerns over parasites being WC. And would need to make sure his set up and food etc. are appropriate.
Our 8 year old is SOOOOOOOOO attached to him already.

I hate being a parent sometimes...if it were just me I would have brought him back tonight and walked away...

Thank you for all your help.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Pretty much anything you get at the big chain stores will be WC, sorry. A trip to a Vet that will treat Torts and knows what he is doing is in order, and take a fecal sample along with you. (not one from a soaking, but a fresh one from his enclosure if at all possible. You can put it in a ziploc baggy in the fridge overnight if need be before the appointment.) 95% certain its a WC animal.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
He's so cute, I think he'll definately be worth your time, that's for sure!

B

Bansh88

Uh....I'm going to go with a Hermann. It's lot more dull colored than most Hermanns, including my own but that looks like a Hermann to me.

Someone else will chime in soon. Not to try and debate Hermanni Chris, I could very well be wrong. Someone who was posting a ton of Hermann stuff has 2 Hermann that I could've swore looked JUST like that. I'mm too lazy to search but maybe someone else can.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
The animal is like I said 100% a MALE Testudo graeca terrestris.:cool:

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
He has rear leg spurs...I do not think Hermann's have those, at least from the searching around I have done the last few hours.

I want to clarify, that I DEFINITELY think he is worth our time:D I am just one of those wacky conservationalist people, so the WC thing is what I am stuck on.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Doesnt look like any of my Hermanns.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Just to clarify for those who do not know:

Hermann's Tortoise (Testudo hermanni)-NO rear spurs, this animal exhibits a spur at the end of the tail in box sexes which gives it its second name The Mediterranean SPUR-TAILED Tortoise. These animals also have a FIXED and UNHINGED plastron.

Greek tortoise (Testudo graeca)-NO spur at the end of the tail, this animal DOES have spurs on each thigh giving it its second name The Mediterranean SPUR-THIGHED Tortoise. These animals have a single hinge on the plastron.

While both these species can be easily confused with the other ,let us keep in mind that they are NOTHING alike even though they resemble each other in appearance.

This particular subspecies of greek we are dealing with (Testudo graeca terrestris) happens to favor a very arid and dry habitat. This animal does not encounter water too often in the wild. Hermann's tortoises (all 3 subspecies) require a bit more of humidty in their keeping and require more humidity than any other member of the genus Testudo. Hermann's can and do fair well in a very dry area but water is very important to their well being. The tortoise you have taken on can prove to a bit difficult to acclimate but it is worth giving it a shot because these tortoises are interesting, responsive pets once settled down. It is very important that you recognize that this animal is NOT a hermann's tortoise and that is a member of the greek tortoise family. While some subspecies of greek tortoise do fair well in a habitat like the hermann's tortoise (Testudo graeca ibera in particular) it should be noted that the one you have DOES NOT.

Hope this helps.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Thanks so much for chiming in Chris. I was hoping you would.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
HermanniChris said:
Just to clarify for those who do not know:

Hermann's Tortoise (Testudo hermanni)-NO rear spurs, this animal exhibits a spur at the end of the tail in box sexes which gives it its second name The Mediterranean SPUR-TAILED Tortoise. These animals also have a FIXED and UNHINGED plastron.

Greek tortoise (Testudo graeca)-NO spur at the end of the tail, this animal DOES have spurs on each thigh giving it its second name The Mediterranean SPUR-THIGHED Tortoise. These animals have a single hinge on the plastron.

While both these species can be easily confused with the other ,let us keep in mind that they are NOTHING alike even though they resemble each other in appearance.

This particular subspecies of greek we are dealing with (Testudo graeca terrestris) happens to favor a very arid and dry habitat. This animal does not encounter water too often in the wild. Hermann's tortoises (all 3 subspecies) require a bit more of humidty in their keeping and require more humidity than any other member of the genus Testudo. Hermann's can and do fair well in a very dry area but water is very important to their well being. The tortoise you have taken on can prove to a bit difficult to acclimate but it is worth giving it a shot because these tortoises are interesting, responsive pets once settled down. It is very important that you recognize that this animal is NOT a hermann's tortoise and that is a member of the greek tortoise family. While some subspecies of greek tortoise do fair well in a habitat like the hermann's tortoise (Testudo graeca ibera in particular) it should be noted that the one you have DOES NOT.

Hope this helps.

It MORE than helps!!!!!!!!!! Thank you soooooo very much!:D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
You do have a Greek tortoise. :) I'm just going to differ from Chris on the subspecies. With the last vertebral scute being the widest, which is the same as Hermanns tortoises, you have a Testudo graeca antakyensis. Care is the same as T. g. terrestris.

Danny

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
egyptiandan said:
Hi,
You do have a Greek tortoise. :) I'm just going to differ from Chris on the subspecies. With the last vertebral scute being the widest, which is the same as Hermanns tortoises, you have a Testudo graeca antakyensis. Care is the same as T. g. terrestris.

Danny

You all are amazing!

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Looks a lot like my wc hermanns in coloring....here are some pics of them for comparison. I do think I see the difference as far as the spurs go between a hermanns and a greek.
[IMG=640x480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/geckogirl171/Picture037.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG=640x480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/geckogirl171/Picture036.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG=640x480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/geckogirl171/Picture035-1.jpg[/IMG]

I ended up with wild caught after a long long search for females:rolleyes:. I was worried about them being wc and I even sent one back because it ended up being male, but I did get one female:D. After a few treatments for pin worms and a few clean fecals she is now doing wonderful and I am so happy I found her.
Good luck with your new Greek tort!!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Totally different;)
Although the colors are similar, again you DO NOT have a hermann's tortoise. Also to be honest with you, these greeks can be much much more sensitive than hermann's tortoises when wild caught. This is why i suggest that you worm the animal and possibly take it to a vet for an exam. Hermann's are much hardier than these greeks, but like I said once settled in he should do fine for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.