Russian tortoise pen won’t stay warm!

Braeden p

Location (City and/or State)
Pottstown PA
I got a good thermometer to measure the temperature right but there is a problem, it is 18in hight but it is 76 on the warm side and the cheap thermometer says less that 70 on the cool side and it was 10 degrees warmer on both sides so what should I do?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Lower your heat source until you get the desired temperature.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Do you possibly know what t-5 to use like a 6% or 12% or 14%? I will try that
A tube uvb does not provide heat. You need either a ceramic heat emitter, radiant heat panel, or basking bulb.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
no, I’m built her a bigger 3 by 4ft pen so I want to know what uvb to use and what heat source
Is the new enclosure an open topped table or a closed chamber?

Take the stick on thermometer and throw it away. Useless junk. Go by the digital one.

If you don't remove that ramped water bowl, you are going to walk into the room and find your tortoise upside down and dead in it. Replace it with a terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
Is the new enclosure an open topped table or a closed chamber?

Take the stick on thermometer and throw it away. Useless junk. Go by the digital one.

If you don't remove that ramped water bowl, you are going to walk into the room and find your tortoise upside down and dead in it. Replace it with a terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate.
I will do that. It probably will have plastic chicken wire on the top to keep the dogs out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Plastic chicken wire won't stop the dogs. They will go right through that or just push it in. How will you arrange the heat lamp with plastic chicken wire?

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
Plastic chicken wire won't stop the dogs. They will go right through that or just push it in. How will you arrange the heat lamp with plastic chicken wire?
They will be above the wire and what would stop the dogs because it is going in the corner about window height and the dogs jump on the couch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 16
L

LasTortugasNinja

Heat lamp will melt plastic wire. Even plastic coated wire. Melting plastic wire stinks. So be VERY careful with heat lamps on wire. I highly recommend not letting the light rest on the lid. Put it on a stand. Really easy if you are making your own table. Just get two 2"x2" pieces of wood - nail or screw them together like a hangman's gallows, and a lamp cord hook to dangle the light above the table. Highly favorable over burning the house down, or stinking up the place with carcinogens.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
Heat lamp will melt plastic wire. Even plastic coated wire. Melting plastic wire stinks. So be VERY careful with heat lamps on wire. I highly recommend not letting the light rest on the lid. Put it on a stand. Really easy if you are making your own table. Just get two 2"x2" pieces of wood - nail or screw them together like a hangman's gallows, and a lamp cord hook to dangle the light above the table. Highly favorable over burning the house down, or stinking up the place with carcinogens.
Ok but I’m still not sure what to use to keep the dogs out.

KronksMom

Illinois
We used hardware cloth just in case the cat jumps on top of Kronk's. It's metal and I think a bit sturdier than chicken wire. If the dogs actually jump on top of the table, I don't think anything will keep them from messing the table up though.
Just because they jump up on the couch doesn't mean they'll jump on the tort table. I think your best bet is to train them to leave it alone. I mean, do they jump on top of the kitchen table? They way we trained our cat is with a spray bottle. Whenever they're staring at the table a bit too intently, spray them. It doesn't hurt at all, but it startles them and distracts them from what they were thinking about doing. And eventually they'll associate the tortoise table with the unpleasant sensation of being sprayed with the water bottle, and they'll just leave it alone.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
We used hardware cloth just in case the cat jumps on top of Kronk's. It's metal and I think a bit sturdier than chicken wire. If the dogs actually jump on top of the table, I don't think anything will keep them from messing the table up though.
Just because they jump up on the couch doesn't mean they'll jump on the tort table. I think your best bet is to train them to leave it alone. I mean, do they jump on top of the kitchen table? They way we trained our cat is with a spray bottle. Whenever they're staring at the table a bit too intently, spray them. It doesn't hurt at all, but it startles them and distracts them from what they were thinking about doing. And eventually they'll associate the tortoise table with the unpleasant sensation of being sprayed with the water bottle, and they'll just leave it alone.
They’d probably will just sniff it and hopefully not try to eat Betty.

KronksMom

Illinois
I've found that every dog is startled by my tortoise, then determined to murder my tortoise. In their minds, I imagine, they think that tortoises are rocks brought to life by devil magic and they are just trying to protect us, the humans they love, by killing the evil moving rock. Like a lot of people, they just want to kill it because they don't understand it. But it's your job to keep them from being able to do that. Don't let them spend time with Betty. It isn't in anyone's best interest for them to become friends.

hatshell

Massachusetts

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've found that every dog is startled by my tortoise, then determined to murder my tortoise. In their minds, I imagine, they think that tortoises are rocks brought to life by devil magic and they are just trying to protect us, the humans they love, by killing the evil moving rock. Like a lot of people, they just want to kill it because they don't understand it. But it's your job to keep them from being able to do that. Don't let them spend time with Betty. It isn't in anyone's best interest for them to become friends.
I've seen that reaction, but most dogs don't care much about them, and then eventually decide to casually chew on them like a chew toy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok I will try to get some.
They have it at Home Depot. I attach it with fender washers and deck screws. If you ask for these things, a salesperson can take you right to them. Hardware cloth can also be attached to wood with a staple gun, if needed, but that is not nearly as secure if you are worried about a dog putting his feet on the wire from the couch there.

ZappCatt

SF Bay Area, California
They have it at Home Depot. I attach it with fender washers and deck screws. If you ask for these things, a salesperson can take you right to them. Hardware cloth can also be attached to wood with a staple gun, if needed, but that is not nearly as secure if you are worried about a dog putting his feet on the wire from the couch there.
At Home Depot, I see 1/2 inch 19 gauge and 1/4 in 23 gauge versions of Hardware Cloth. Do you have a preference either way? Gauge size or hole size? Any absolute minimum gauge and maximum size hole?

and then for Fender washers, 1/8 in. x 1 in. should be fine(for 1/4 inch)? the 1/8th is thickness, and the 1 inch is diameter, right? (which would catch all 4 sides of the square opening. If using 1/2 inch cloth, I guess 1.25 would be better to make sure it does not wiggle through.