elliotmarie

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hi all! My Theo (Russian tort) is doing great so far! Sadly he’s a little obsessed with the lighter leaf lettuce I got him (it’s a romaine) so I found a garden group in Seattle and asked people with untreated yards for weeds! We have two dogs and our HOA treats the front usually so ours doesn’t work. Tons of people are willing to help but they’re asking specifically what to look for. I listed dandelions, clover and edible plant flowers but I’m hoping to get some help with what else I should put! I googled it and used tortoise table but tortoise table doesn’t let you pick your type of tort! I just didn’t know if anyone in the area had any advice as well! Thank you, I really really appreciate it!!

Attachments

• AE1FB8A2-CD39-4C38-828C-0AB9FEC2F6A6.jpeg
    AE1FB8A2-CD39-4C38-828C-0AB9FEC2F6A6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • B158610C-7383-401F-8BFD-F2838A2EE9A8.jpeg
    B158610C-7383-401F-8BFD-F2838A2EE9A8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

I’m nowhere near you but here are some weeds that are pretty common in north America; your neighbors may be happy to let you pull these!

This first group are all dandelion relatives, the plants with yellow flowers that look like dandelions but you just aren’t sure. :)

Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Prickly lettuce,
Hawksbit
Cats ear
Hawksbeard
Bristly ox-tongue

Other Weeds:

Mallow
Filaree
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion (in moderation)
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic (in moderation)
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Bindweed

Right now we’ve had some rain so I am most successful finding the dandelion relatives, mallow and filaree, (escaped) nasturiums here in Southern California. And just now a few nettles, which you might also find at a large farmers market.

You can also feed mulberry leaves, grape leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, opuntia cactus, cape honey suckle, gazanias, nasturtiums, pansies, alyssum, roses, carnations, geraniums, rose leaves and flowers, berry plants (no fruits), the stems, leaves and flowers of any squash, cucumber or melon.

I usually find it helpful to Google two things. The first is a list of common weeds in your area; you’ll usually find a list from a local Extension or Park agency or from a lawn service company. Then I would Google “common wild flowers of the PNW.” You’ll get some from a park agency or enthusiast group.

Do you have any Asian grocers near you? They will sell things you and I don’t think of as “normal” food but that are a much better choice than what you’ll find in a typical American market. If you have a Latino/Mexican grocery store, they will sell cactus, labeled nopales.

Russians are pretty broad eaters. If someone mentions a specific plant to you, come back to this site and search for it; someone will have likely asked about that plant before.

Sounds like your Russian has been stuck on Romaine for some time and they are stubborn creatures. Just keep offering different things. It took my tortoise five months to transition to healthy foods; I started with the grocery store foods and now, after a few years, she’ll eat just about anything. Mine tries the most new things when she out in the spring and summer.

I love this photo and use it every chance I get. It’s my tortoise after she “clicked” with wild and better foods.

A406FC44-4BA6-49AE-92F0-EAF6769C6C96.jpeg