russian tortoise questionso i got

Lucky The Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Florida I guess
What? That's way too small, even for one tortoise! They can't eat romaine lettuce and carrots all the time, they'll become nutrient-deprived and pyramided! Give them mostly grass (fresh grass) and larger, separate enclosures.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
What? That's way too small, even for one tortoise! They can't eat romaine lettuce and carrots all the time, they'll become nutrient-deprived and pyramided! Give them mostly grass (fresh grass) and larger, separate enclosures.
Russians are not a grass eating species, please do not dispense incorrect information.

R

Raymond23

Raymond I don't want to sound harsh...but is it possible you just aren't ready to be an owner? I have seen you get the proper advice repeatedly and you are still making the same mistakes. 4X8 minimum is the proper size for EACH tort. And romaine lettuce is not a good primary food...turnips, collards, kale, mustard greens and so on is best, dark leafy stuff.

If you can't nail down the basics they are better off with someone who can. If things do not improve soon I would consider what is best for them and think about re-homing them.
well they love romain lettuce and trust me my enclosure is much bigger then the one at petco and petsmart

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
well they love romain lettuce and trust me my enclosure is much bigger then the one at petco and petsmart

And a 500 pound man who drops from 12 bacon cheese burgers a day to 5 is still killing himself....being bigger than the stores enclosure doesn't mean squat when it is still THAT far below minimum.

I have defended people who were a foot or two under minimum if they were caring well for them otherwise. But you are feet and FEET under minimum.

Dog''s love chocolate...does NOT mean they should eat it. Your torts are the same way.

Apologies for the lame analogies, but if the shoe fits...

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Difference is, the one at petco and petsmart is meant to be temporary until they find a new home. Taking an animal from a bad situation, and putting it is a situation that’s as bad or worse, is not noble in any way and does not excuse it.

R

Raymond23

And a 500 pound man who drops from 12 bacon cheese burgers a day to 5 is still killing himself....being bigger than the stores enclosure doesn't mean squat when it is still THAT far below minimum.

I have defended people who were a foot or two under minimum if they were caring well for them otherwise. But you are feet and FEET under minimum.

Dog''s love chocolate...does NOT mean they should eat it. Your torts are the same way.

Apologies for the lame analogies, but if the shoe fits...
i mean my russian tortoise need a bigger enclosure i know that but they are fine they seem healthy i give them greens.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Wow!! I put my phone down for 15 minutes to get a haircut, I get back on and all heck broke out. Raymond, the only advice I am going to give is when someone offers you advice whether you agree with it or not...say Thank you. That's all you really have to say, those two words will carry you further in life than you ever know, much further then childish insults. I am done posting to this poster as well. In the words of Fez from that 70 show.......d3ed3800f6be482335bb700fdf2ec638--that-s-show-quotes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
there enclosure is 3 feetacross and 2 feet wide i seprated them both so they both got light they eat romain lettuce and carrot mostly romaine and there 4 inches

raymond 23 said:
ok yea becaquse the degree is maby 70-80 and it 8 foot wide 4 foot acroose and i had to seperate the male from here because he was harressing her

I’ve spoken about trolls before.

On occasion I put a member on ignore because I think they are a troll and engaging them encourages them to continue posting. This has always worked for me but today I noticed someone I’ve put on ignore back in my feed. Perhaps that happens when someone’s status changes to “guest” rather than “member?”

I begin to question whether a new member is a troll for the following reasons:

The poster’s statements about tortoise care are typically hot button topics
The poster regularly posts the same questions over and over, without following even simple advice
The poster’s statements regularly contradict each other. I’ve posted an example above that could come from either a seriously misguided user or a troll
The poster never provides a photo of their tortoise or setup, despite multiple requests

I stop questioning the situation when I notice a poster states they are a teenager with no working internet device and yet have money to purchase not one, but two tortoises from Petsmart, along with equipment. That is not something I have ever experienced first hand.

Don’t feed the trolls.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I’ve spoken about trolls before.

On occasion I put a member on ignore because I think they are a troll and engaging them encourages them to continue posting. This has always worked for me but today I noticed someone I’ve put on ignore back in my feed. Perhaps that happens when someone’s status changes to “guest” rather than “member?”

I begin to question whether a new member is a troll for the following reasons:

The poster’s statements about tortoise care are typically hot button topics
The poster regularly posts the same questions over and over, without following even simple advice
The poster’s statements regularly contradict each other. I’ve posted an example above that could come from either a seriously misguided user or a troll
The poster never provides a photo of their tortoise or setup, despite multiple requests

I stop questioning the situation when I notice a poster states they are a teenager with no working internet device and yet have money to purchase not one, but two tortoises from Petsmart, along with equipment. That is not something I have ever experienced first hand.

Don’t feed the trolls.

You know, some times I find it funny when there are trolls here. I mean, if all places to troll, they choose a forum about tortoises, lol