Russian Tortoise recovering from URI

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Paisan

5 Year Member
We have a female russian that is recovering from a upper respiratory infection. She has been on daily Baytril injections for two weeks and has made a dramatic turnaround. Also keeping her warm, nice basking light, inside viviarium, offering best foods etc. Also benebac during early feeding way before her injection. She ate little upon onset and had to be tube fed once. Just started getting back into her regular eating 4 days ago and has been voraciously devouring her greens. During her recovery, we believe that she may have eaten some of her sand substrate, which has since been removed for the time being. Vet thinks she has Pica due to illness or the baytril. She has been eating two good meals per day and we have been hydrating daily with pedialite/water bath now just water since she got sick. Problem is that she has not passed any feces since going back on her food and we are concerned about this. Will call vet tomorrow. Should we be doing anything else, being patient or????

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
I wouldn't worry to much about not going to the bathroom. Your Russian hasn't gotten filled up enough to go yet. Give her at least 3 or 4 more days. :)

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Nice warm soaks usually makes them poop.

2712882b5iavb00d1.gif

to the forum!!

2Paisan

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Nice warm soaks usually makes them poop.

2712882b5iavb00d1.gif

to the forum!!

Yep Yvonne we are trying that and letting her on walks as she has more energy now. We will keep trying both.... Also I know Clovis....some of my relatives live there. I have fond memories of orange groves. Thanks for the support :)

2Paisan

5 Year Member
Except for when our boys were babies, never, never have I said this before....."yay....she pooped!" Now we are convince Frankie has made almost a complete recovery. She had pica and tried to eat her sand/soil substrate before. We are waiting a while longer to fix her vivarium back up until her eating is totally normal but she is very clear, bright eyed, active and HUNGRY. Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.