Russian Tortoise rescued from fire in Idaho.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad he was saved. I bet the heat pad was one of those cheap reptile ones all the chain stores sell. Hopefully, they won't allow the tort back into the school. He was being housed poorly anyway, 30 gallon tank is not even a good size for a hatchling.

Mr Buster

Location (City and/or State)
Reno NV
So glad he was saved. I bet the heat pad was one of those cheap reptile ones all the chain stores sell. Hopefully, they won't allow the tort back into the school. He was being housed poorly anyway, 30 gallon tank is not even a good size for a hatchling.

The article said Yoda was back home with the teacher. So, I was thinking the 30 gallon tote might be just his "vacation" home.

My teacher in the 3rd grade hade a box turtle that she kept in a 5 gallon glass aquarium that had no lights or nothing back in the mid 1970s. She chose a student to take it home every weekend. The turtle did not survive to see us move onto the 4th grade. Dog got it. I think box turtles get far more stressed being handled or around people than most species. My vet told me they are the most frustrating to deal with because it is so hard to get them come out of their shells.