Russian Tortoise Respiratory Infection

Pumpkin2020

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
My Russian tortoise had a respiratory infection and she was treated with a series of five antibiotic injections every 3 days. Her last injection was last night, and today she yawned and sneezed. So I am wondering if she needs another course of antibiotics or if they may need some more time to run their course. I have posted a picture of her face because I am also worried her eyes may still be a bit watery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
20220525_163346.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It took my Russian weeks to get well after her injections. Same as you might if you were on antibiotics. Looking at my notes I see she was not close to her full self for three weeks after finishing treatment, and she had only a very slight infection. She was up and about sooner but had a runny and then damp nose for some time. The really runny nose day was the worst; a Russian can't blow its nose.

Russians aren't able to easily shake respiratory infection so it's not an overnight thing. Keep her heat up slightly. If you really are worried about the length of her symptoms, call her vet for reassurance; you won't be the first owner to do that. :)

Pumpkin2020

North Carolina
It took my Russian weeks to get well after her injections. Same as you might if you were on antibiotics. Looking at my notes I see she was not close to her full self for three weeks after finishing treatment, and she had only a very slight infection. She was up and about sooner but had a runny and then damp nose for some time. The really runny nose day was the worst; a Russian can't blow its nose.

Russians aren't able to easily shake respiratory infection so it's not an overnight thing. Keep her heat up slightly. If you really are worried about the length of her symptoms, call her vet for reassurance; you won't be the first owner to do that. :)
Thank you so much! She's definitely been improving over the past few days and reading things like this makes me feel much better about her recovery.