Russian Tortoise Scratching Eyes, Pink and Puffy

Sydneu

Location (City and/or State)
Saint Louis
Today I was soaking my Russian when I noticed he had been rubbing his eyes and they were a bit pink and puffy around the edges. I've been away for college and my parents have been taking care of him but he seems to be doing fine otherwise. His enclosure is 2.5ft wide and 5ft long and typically has two 100w Mercury vapor wave bulbs running (one bulb didn't seem like enough light for the enclosure size) but I've turned off one of the lights for the time being. His eyes looked less red after the bath but he's still rubbing at them.

Attachments

• 20210531_140146_HDR.jpg
    20210531_140146_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's a small enclosure for an adult Russian and for two mvb. Leave the one off permanently and use a regular bulb or a florescent tube light for added light.
The mvb are much too intense and drying. We really don't recommend them any more as they are too harsh on the shells and cause pyramiding. Yours being an adult he is past that stage but two of those bulbs could still cause damage.
Also a minimum enclosure for an adult Russian is 4x8 foot. Try to expand the enclosure or build an outside one for the warm months.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Tort's eyes can get irritated for several reasons. The most often cause we see is the type of UVB light that's being used. Any UVB that screws into a regular socket we don't recommend using. CFL or 'compact' bulbs are the worst culprits in making eyes sore.

If both the MVB's were on together, it's possible the brightness and heat has irritated them. With one off you should see improvement quickly if that was the problem. Make sure the bulb is aimed straight down. If at an angle, your tort may be looking directly into it.

Another trouble spot is the type of substrate he's on. Do you have any soil or sand in his enclosure? When they dig, they get sand or dirt in the eyes, and with soil, there's no way to know what is in it. If there is any of either of those, replace the substrate. Orchid bark is the best, or cypress mulch or coco coir.

Sometimes a tort will get something in the eye, or poke his eye on something. Since both his eyes are bothering him, this doesn't seem likely to be the problem.

If you go to a well stocked pet store, or to a tack and feed store, get a bottle of this:

Screenshot_20210123-122310_Samsung Internet.jpg

You can get either the gel, or the eye wash. Apply it 3-4 times a day. It should help clear up the inflammation. You can also order this from Amazon. Then keep a look out to try to figure out what caused the irritation in the first place.

Sydneu

Saint Louis
Tort's eyes can get irritated for several reasons. The most often cause we see is the type of UVB light that's being used. Any UVB that screws into a regular socket we don't recommend using. CFL or 'compact' bulbs are the worst culprits in making eyes sore.

If both the MVB's were on together, it's possible the brightness and heat has irritated them. With one off you should see improvement quickly if that was the problem. Make sure the bulb is aimed straight down. If at an angle, your tort may be looking directly into it.

Another trouble spot is the type of substrate he's on. Do you have any soil or sand in his enclosure? When they dig, they get sand or dirt in the eyes, and with soil, there's no way to know what is in it. If there is any of either of those, replace the substrate. Orchid bark is the best, or cypress mulch or coco coir.

Sometimes a tort will get something in the eye, or poke his eye on something. Since both his eyes are bothering him, this doesn't seem likely to be the problem.

If you go to a well stocked pet store, or to a tack and feed store, get a bottle of this:

View attachment 326259

You can get either the gel, or the eye wash. Apply it 3-4 times a day. It should help clear up the inflammation. You can also order this from Amazon. Then keep a look out to try to figure out what caused the irritation in the first place.
Thank you! He's currently on a mix of cups mulch, coco coir, and forest floor. I'll get some eye wash today!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
That's a small enclosure for an adult Russian and for two mvb. Leave the one off permanently and use a regular bulb or a florescent tube light for added light.
The mvb are much too intense and drying. We really don't recommend them any more as they are too harsh on the shells and cause pyramiding. Yours being an adult he is past that stage but two of those bulbs could still cause damage.
Also a minimum enclosure for an adult Russian is 4x8 foot. Try to expand the enclosure or build an outside one for the warm months.
Just because he is an adult, why couldn't he still get affected by things?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just because he is an adult, why couldn't he still get affected by things?
I did not say he could not get affected by things.
Everything can still affect him.
However, pyramiding usually is developed in hatchlings upto a couple years old. Usually once they hit adolescence if they haven't pyramided they likely won't, especially russians as they don't pyramid as easily as most others. Not that it's not possible and like I did say, with two mvb he could possibly start.