Russian Tortoise Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
everything set up. I got my tortoise Harrison last Thursday. He's doing great. I just wanted to see if my set up is good and if any one ask any ideas or concerns about it.
Thanks

Attachments

• image-2335187264.png
    image-2335187264.png
    212.6 KB · Views: 165
  • image-1567410401.png
    image-1567410401.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 99
  • image-1160853410.png
    image-1160853410.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 137
  • image-377822547.png
    image-377822547.png
    361 KB · Views: 122
  • image-523445301.png
    image-523445301.png
    300.3 KB · Views: 114

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I would add se moisture to it. Also a few more hides. Smart hides where they can really feel safe, bury the flower pot half way in the ground or better break it and use them that way half pots unlike. Maybe add a little more soil substrate or what ever your using add some topography little hill or something. Plants too keep it interesting.

But it looks good as is. Everything I mentioned is just little things that can add to it.

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
Indiana Jones? (Harrison Ford influence?) :p Looks great! He looks great too! I would bury the pot more so it cant roll and crush him, and so he cant stick his head out of the hole at the end. (if there is one)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Your setup is about the same as mine for my russian. Only thing I have is covers on each end and the basking area is in the center. It helps keep temp's and humidity up some. Good job!

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Millerlite said:
I would add se moisture to it. Also a few more hides. Smart hides where they can really feel safe, bury the flower pot half way in the ground or better break it and use them that way half pots unlike. Maybe add a little more soil substrate or what ever your using add some topography little hill or something. Plants too keep it interesting.

But it looks good as is. Everything I mentioned is just little things that can add to it.

Thanks for the ideas I'm going to try to use some of them.

dannel said:
Indiana Jones? (Harrison Ford influence?) :p Looks great! He looks great too! I would bury the pot more so it cant roll and crush him, and so he cant stick his head out of the hole at the end. (if there is one)

Haha I forgot about Indy. Nick name maybe :p And thanks for the feedback I'll try to fix the pot so it's better for him.

cemmons12 said:
Your setup is about the same as mine for my russian. Only thing I have is covers on each end and the basking area is in the center. It helps keep temp's and humidity up some. Good job!

Do you cover it with just a tub lid on its side? And I'm going to try to use the basking spot in the center. Thanks!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I have a long wire mesh piece that goes across the whole container, then I cover each end with thick towels. It works out great. I don't know what size yours is but I got the biggest one they sold at Home Depot. So since its so large I figured it would help keep the temps up.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
cemmons12 said:
I have a long wire mesh piece that goes across the whole container, then I cover each end with thick towels. It works out great. I don't know what size yours is but I got the biggest one they sold at Home Depot. So since its so large I figured it would help keep the temps up.

Is it just a screen top? And it's a 54 gallon.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Nice job! There are some good suggestions above. If you use wire across the top, make sure it is something like 1 inch or so, so it does not block the UV from your tube light fixture.

Take your time, your set up is OK.
Depending on the background temps in that room, you could use 1" galvanized or chicken wire across the top, or perhaps get creative and cut most of the middle out of the lid and zip tie wire to part of it to support a towel or plastic or plexiglass (where the lights are NOT, lol).

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
T Smart said:
everything set up. I got my tortoise Harrison last Thursday. He's doing great. I just wanted to see if my set up is good and if any one ask any ideas or concerns about it.
Thanks

AWWWWW!!!!! He is so cute!!! The enclosure is great, it looks a bit similar to mine (my lovelies have been growing quite a bit though, so a new enclosure is currently in the works) I just cannot get over how adorable he is though!!!

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the suggestions. Here's a couple more photos of him.

Attachments

• image-3506774450.png
    image-3506774450.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 45
  • image-805863607.png
    image-805863607.png
    243.8 KB · Views: 35
Status
Not open for further replies.