Russian tortoise shell chiping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt99

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
indiana (USA)
Hi my russian tortoise shell is starting to chip, is thhis bad if so how bad, can i fix it on my own? should i take him to the vet or just leave it alone?
i have a pic it looks like its starting to heal, maybe, just tell me what to do Thanks.:(

cindys 044.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Tina's shell was like this also. When I brought her to the vet, he said it was normal. He also gave me other inaccurate information so I don't know if he is right about the shell. I did notice, however, once I switched to coir for substrate and was able to keep it moist, the edges kind of smoothed down.

Matt99

5 Year Member
indiana (USA)
Ok thank you, I am not able to swich to coconut (it makes me sick)
so will he be healthy with this or should i worry further.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I wouldn't be worried about it. I am fairly new to tortoise keeping though, please wait for more experienced keepers to voice their opinions as well :)

Matt99

5 Year Member
indiana (USA)
Thanks for the advise. im glad some one new to tortoises is getting to know alot off of the forum maybe i'll be able to give someone advise one day:p

Akronic

5 Year Member
if you cant use Coco coir. try peat moss(loam) sometimes sold as soilless mix. just try to find the stuff w/o perlite in it. those are the little white balls

Skymall007

5 Year Member
Does he climb around a lot? Mine likes climbing outside and fell a year or so ago. My vet said that he's fine and that over time it shall probably heal. If you are seeing consistent chipping though, and he's not falling off things or what not than I am not sure. Always safe to make a vet visit, but sometimes you can even just call in for a quick question. =)

Matt99

5 Year Member
indiana (USA)
Ya he did try to escape alot before, in his first too small encloser so maybe he just has some chipping from that, The last time I tried peet moss (for a difforent tort) I was down for like 3 days. I have really bad allerdies so dusty stuff just kills me:shy:

Skymall007

5 Year Member
It sounds like it might be from climbing about =) Again, never hurts to check with the vet, but they are pretty hardy. I don't want to give the wrong advice, I worry so much. But for me, that is what it sounds similar too. I don't know if anything in the cage is sharp enough to do that, but they are pretty active and if there are rocks then def. it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.