Russian Tortoise Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
My Russian tortoise's shell has some "deformities" in it. I'm not sure if I should worry about them, or if they will heal over time. I'll attempt to attach photos.

image-3047264608.png

image-3602337514.png

image-3806586911.png

The first top I think it's called vertebrate scute? Is curved inwards, and some of the darker parts on her scutes are scratched off completely. Will this heal on it's own?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So someone can better help you. Give us an idea of how much calcium you feed and how often. Also, what kind of lighting are you using.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Oh, sorry. I have a UV lamp I can't remember the specific brand. I think it's the zoo med coil bulb. I don't give a supplement, I have a cuttle bone in her enclosure so she can regulate her own calcium. I just got her three weeks ago at Petco and her shell was like this.

Tortilla1989

5 Year Member
Chicago
I have the zoo med power sun bulb and have had no issues, zoo med is a good brand but I have read bad things about using coil bulbs... Also got my tort from Petco months back and shell looks similar and she is eating and acting healthy with no issues. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.