Russian tortoise shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

pallarez

5 Year Member
I am a new tortoise owner and I have a Russian tortoise named Lola, I have had her for a bout a month and a half now and I am starting to get very worried about her shell, I want a beautiful healthy Russian tort like I see on YouTube and how their shells are just so gorgeous but something is wrong with Lola's so if anybody can tell me what this is and if and how I can help her I would love the help! ImageUploadedByTortForum1371720265.164091.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1371720280.246340.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Im no expert in Russian torts and i dont want to freak you out. In the middle scutes looks like there might be some slight shell rotting. I cant really confirm but im sure somebody can help you out. Shell rot needs aggressive antibiotics to treat and will take a long time to heal. Like all torts, they take a lot longer time to recover compared to most other animals. You just have to be patient w/ them.

pallarez

5 Year Member
How does that happen and what antibiotics? I thought it was just lack of calcium at first

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
pallarez said:
How does that happen and what antibiotics? I thought it was just lack of calcium at first

It occurs when bacteria starts flourishing on the shell of a turtle/tortoise and will eventually cause it to have the appearance of rotting fruit with small pits and divots or a moth eaten appearance. Antibiotics you'll have to ask in the forums. I have never dealt w/ it myself. But like i said earlier, im not sure if it is rotting. Will just have to wait for somebody else to respond.

pallarez

5 Year Member
Jlant85 said:
pallarez said:

It occurs when bacteria starts flourishing on the shell of a turtle/tortoise and will eventually cause it to have the appearance of rotting fruit with small pits and divots or a moth eaten appearance. Antibiotics you'll have to ask in the forums. I have never dealt w/ it myself. But like i said earlier, im not sure if it is rotting. Will just have to wait for somebody else to respond.

Dang :/ this sucks

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
pallarez said:
Jlant85 said:
pallarez said:

Dang :/ this sucks

Dont be discourage, I didnt want to scare you! Like i said im not quite sure myself. Details on how you are raising her would help. Temp (basking, cooler end and night time temperature), Humidity levels, and substrate that you are using.

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
Is the plastron buldging? And sometimes concave? If that happening i think lack of calcuim, and about the spot on the plastron, i think its also a shell rot, but its just starting, easy to treat check this link
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-63813.html

Am no expert but thats my opinions,maybe w8 a bit, experts will come

Sent from my S100 using TortForum mobile app

pallarez

5 Year Member
apromann4 said:
Is the plastron buldging? And sometimes concave? If that happening i think lack of calcuim, and about the spot on the plastron, i think its also a shell rot, but its just starting, easy to treat check this link
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-63813.html

Am no expert but thats my opinions,maybe w8 a bit, experts will come

Sent from my S100 using TortForum mobile app

Do you know what antibiotics I should get or should I take her to the vet? She isn't big at all as you see in the picture I have her in my hand

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Ill help you do some research and ill let you know once I find out about antibiotics. Look around in the forums. I'm sure this had happened before and some in the forums already came up with an answer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OK, everybody just calm down!!!

Lola was purchased at a pet store, right? This means she is a wild caught tortoise. The only time you're going to see a perfect russian shell is when you are looking at a captive bred tortoise. The Russian tortoises endure a pretty rough life while being captured and kept prior to selling to your pet store. Some wild caught Russian tortoises are lucky enough to be captured by a small-time dealer, and don't get lumped together in huge batches for shipping. However most of them are caught and contained by the hundreds. They are all piled up on each other, which means they are pooped and peed on, and their shells get scratched and damaged. This is minor damage and nothing to worry about. Your tortoise looks just fine. Eventually, over the years, that rough-looking patch will chip off and pretty, new-looking shell will shine through. Just give Lola the best care that you can, it's what she deserves, after all. And she will reward you with hours of entertainment.

pallarez

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
OK, everybody just calm down!!!

Lola was purchased at a pet store, right? This means she is a wild caught tortoise. The only time you're going to see a perfect russian shell is when you are looking at a captive bred tortoise. The Russian tortoises endure a pretty rough life while being captured and kept prior to selling to your pet store. Some wild caught Russian tortoises are lucky enough to be captured by a small-time dealer, and don't get lumped together in huge batches for shipping. However most of them are caught and contained by the hundreds. They are all piled up on each other, which means they are pooped and peed on, and their shells get scratched and damaged. This is minor damage and nothing to worry about. Your tortoise looks just fine. Eventually, over the years, that rough-looking patch will chip off and pretty, new-looking shell will shine through. Just give Lola the best care that you can, it's what she deserves, after all. And she will reward you with hours of entertainment.

You just made my life hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.