Russian tortoise unplanned hibernation, advice needed

Cristín

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ireland and Scotland
Hello lovely tortoise people,

I am extremely stressed/worried/upset this evening as I am just back from university for Christmas and asked my mother about my Russian tortoise Simon whenever I got home and wanted to know where he was. She casually said "oh he is hibernating" and I nearly passed out. She was minding him for me this semester as I couldn't take him with me for these few months and I told her not to hibernate him with my not there as he has never hibernated before and she doesn't know a lot about reptiles apart from the basic care guidelines she knows for Simon.

She said Simon was restless and not eating which he is every winter and I know is rather normal for his species, I usually just make sure his temperatures are good and keep giving him regular bathing and offer him food adlib in case he feels so inclined. But she said she had him out in the garage with his lamp on (we live in Ireland so this is not a good idea, I was unaware of this). And then he stopped coming out of his hide at all. So she assumed he had hibernated and was afraid to disturb him.

Now I have no idea what to do as I have just come home to this and am so worried that it could kill him. I was always so meticulously careful about him at this time of year as I've read so much on the strict guidelines on hibernating, on their ideal weights, making sure no food is left in the digestive tract, getting a vet check, keeping a constant temeperature. And in Simon's case this has not been done so I am terrified.

I really really need advice as right now I have no idea what to do next. Whether I should leave him or attempt to wake him up or what's the best call of action in a situation like this.

Some background info: he is approximately 7-8 years old, he is in an insulated garage in his pen under his substrate and hay. The outdoor temperature is 5 celcius at the moment.

Thank you in advance,

a very stressed and worried Cristín

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hello! I’m sorry no one has really replied yet. I have never owned a hibernating tortoise nor researched it, so my advice probably won’t be correct, and it would be a very good idea to get a second opinion.

I believe that I have read somewhere that tortoises stay in hibernation when the temperature is constantly below a certain temperature, and come out when it is constantly above that temperature.

Perhaps you could try to slowly raise the temperature and keep the lamps on for more hours a day? Again, I have never owned nor really researched a tortoise that hibernates, but hopefully my comment can get the ball rolling for more replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since you're so worried about him, and a not so experienced tortoise keeper was caring for him prior to his brumation, it's ok to wake him up. Get him out and soak him in room temperature water, then place him into his enclosure. Keep his lights on 14 hours a day and every time you walk by the enclosure, get him up and place him in front of the food. Once he's warmed up clear through to his inner core, you can carry him around with you occasionally, petting his shell and scratching his neck, then place him in front of the food. He should soon be back to his usual ornery self.