Russian Tortoise Urination Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AprilBlair

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon, USA
Hello!

My name is April and I just got an adorable Russian tortoise yesterday. I have been feeding Boris (Karloff, that's the Russian's name) a combo of about 70% kale, 20% diced sweet potato, and 10% moistened tortoise pellets. I've been reading up on Russians quite a bit, but have found little about their urine/fecal expulsion. Boris just took what I consider to be a large poo (I apologize if this comes across as crude) that was approx. the size of two medium raisins. He's only 4 1/2". Should his poo be that big? Is his diet off? He also peed shortly thereafter. I have read that the urine should be white, similar to bird excrement. Boris' was clear, and again it seemed like a lot for his size. I also noticed that a thin, tubular pink thing came from his behind when he peed. It was about an inch long and went back inside him when he was done. Is that normal? Is it a parasite? My vet is out for the holiday weekend and I am mildly (more than mildly) panicking. Can anyone tell me anything please? Boris is around 6-8 months old. Please help!

Thanks!

bingbongbibidybobbo

5 Year Member
Hi there. The poo seems normal, the urine should be clear and they do pee a lot when they do. The white thing you described are urates and they are normal but they should'nt be doing it a lot. A couple of times a week at the most.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using TortForum mobile app

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Let's start with the long pink thing... that is just Boris proving he's a boy... a male tort's penis is once-seen-never-forgotten and quite disproportionate to the size of the animal :D

As for poo. Two raisins sounds small for a tort that size. Torts poo a lot... and the poop, if their diet is good, is large. They need plenty of fiber and that results in big poops. If you don't find much poop it might be because your tort is eating them; this is common and is nothing to worry about.

Tortoise wee is clear though it may be discoloured by diet. Dandelions for example can lead to a pink hue and greenish is pretty common too.

Urates are a white jely like substance that gets excreted with wee. There shouldn't be a huge amount if the tort is well hydrated, but they may hapen more often in small quantities more than a couple of times a week. Daily 30 minute soaks help to ensure a tort is getting all the water it needs.

I will add that your tort's diet is poor.

Kale should not be 70% of the diet, much as he likes it, and Boris neds to weened onto a more varied diet.

Just like humans, torts need variety to get the nutrients they need. Their diet should be mostly leafy greens; shop bought is fine, but weeds from outdoors are even better.

Look at what you can buy and what you can find outside (not exposed to weedkillers or pesticides) and look them up on the tortoise table plant database for suitability to feed http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

This diet sheet is good http://russiantortoise.org/edible_plants.htm
And another http://russiantortoise.org/russiantortoisediet.htm

AprilBlair

5 Year Member
Southern Oregon, USA
Thank you SO MUCH for responding! I'm embarrassed that it didn't cross my mind that Boris' "parasite" might be genitalia! Ugh. I may be embarrassed, but I'm also relieved!

I plan to go out to my parents' this afternoon to harvest some tortoise food. They have a lot of rural property and never use chemicals, so I'll take the plant list I printed and see what I can find. I really appreciate the links provided! Such a huge help!

I also plan on giving Boris a soak this evening. I have a little tub and supplies set up for him. Happy thoughts...

So begins Day 3 as a Tortoise Mom! What an adventure!

Thanks again for the advice!!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You aren't the first to end uo with a red face over a male tort... it is quite a display! :D

Good luck on your weed hunt :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You aren't the first to end uo with a red face over a male tort... it is quite a display!

male+DT+sex+organ.jpeg

Yes, sometimes a huge surprise indeed....lol...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.