Russian Tortoise Weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
This Saturday was the second week of having my tortoise. So I measured her like I have since I got her, and the first week having her she weighed 130g and now she weighs 160g. I thought this was a lot for a Russian tortoise to gain in a week period. Is it normal for her to gain that much? Could it be because she wasn't eating as much before I got her? And should I be worried? She is a Russian tortoise female, 3.5' wide and 4' long.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
It could be that she was weighed on an empty stomach and had a little food in her on her second weigh in. She could have also been dehydrated. I would take it as a sign that you are taking good care of her!

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
theelectraco said:
It could be that she was weighed on an empty stomach and had a little food in her on her second weigh in. She could have also been dehydrated. I would take it as a sign that you are taking good care of her!

Yes. I agree. Make sure you are weighing your tortoise around the same time of day. If you weighed them right after a drink or a meal the first time do it again the second time. The same goes for if you weighed it in the morning before it has eaten and has not had something to drink for a day (or however long- not sure what kind of schedule you have for him/her) make sure you get in the morning before breakfast for the next weigh in. Just like you would if you were watching your weight. You want to try to eliminate any variables. :)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Some of the keepers have a schedule of weighing their torts after soaking. That eliminates some of the variables.

With that much variance I would reweigh. But don't weigh so often that it stresses the tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.