russian tortoise won’t eat and sleeps all day

Suey

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi just wondering if he’s warm enough, I have 2 Russians and my larger 6yr old hasn’t eaten now for 2wks but she is active. This time of year is very confusing I think for a hibernating species and I think nature takes over. I would just make sure he’s warm to touch wake every morning and soak for 15 to 20 minutes in warm water . Hopefully after that if you offer food he might eat. Someone with more knowledge will help you out soon

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Sounds like low temps and lighting levels. Not sure about the pink urine sorry.

northern ireland
Hi just wondering if he’s warm enough, I have 2 Russians and my larger 6yr old hasn’t eaten now for 2wks but she is active. This time of year is very confusing I think for a hibernating species and I think nature takes over. I would just make sure he’s warm to touch wake every morning and soak for 15 to 20 minutes in warm water . Hopefully after that if you offer food he might eat. Someone with more knowledge will help you out soon
he’s only around 1 or less so it’s not to do with hibernating, he also gets soaked in the mornings. his heat lamp dosent stay on at night so he’s not warm to touch in the mornings but i’ll keep it on tonight. thank you

Suey

England
Well they don’t like lights on at night, a ceramic heat bulb is what you need at night. They give off heat but not light. They come in different wattages so depends on how big your setup is as to what size you’ll need. I buy off swell reptiles online they are very helpful if you ring or email them. Oh you’re in Northern Ireland ? Don’t know if they deliver there or not, worth a try, they are also very quick with deliveries. Good luck.

northern ireland
Well they don’t like lights on at night, a ceramic heat bulb is what you need at night. They give off heat but not light. They come in different wattages so depends on how big your setup is as to what size you’ll need. I buy off swell reptiles online they are very helpful if you ring or email them. Oh you’re in Northern Ireland ? Don’t know if they deliver there or not, worth a try, they are also very quick with deliveries. Good luck.
thank you so much! i will definitely look into one from them ?

northern ireland
alright, i’ve booked a vet appointment for tomorrow morning, i’ll bring a sample of the urine, this is his first time going to the vet, any thing else i should do?

Suey

England
Sometimes they want a poo sample, wouldn’t hurt to just take one ( if you have one ) hope he goes on ok .

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Sounds to me like he is too cold and trying to hibernate. Russians like to cool off at night. But with him I would keep his light on for 12 hrs a day and night temps, I think, should be 70 to 80, not sure about the night temps. Make sure that Vet is an exotic Vet, as most Vets do not know about chelonians

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with Maggie. It's pretty hard to keep Russian tortoises awake and active during the winter months. I doubt there's anything wrong with your tortoise. . . it's just time time of year.

The color of the urine is reflecting what the tortoise has been eating. For example, dandelion makes urine red.

northern ireland
Sounds to me like he is too cold and trying to hibernate. Russians like to cool off at night. But with him I would keep his light on for 12 hrs a day and night temps, I think, should be 70 to 80, not sure about the night temps. Make sure that Vet is an exotic Vet, as most Vets do not know about chelonians
thanks, he’s only 6 months to a year old so it shouldn’t be a hibernating issue. i’ve ordered a ceramic heater for night times. thank you ?

northern ireland
I agree with Maggie. It's pretty hard to keep Russian tortoises awake and active during the winter months. I doubt there's anything wrong with your tortoise. . . it's just time time of year.

The color of the urine is reflecting what the tortoise has been eating. For example, dandelion makes urine red.
well he’s only 6 months to a year so shouldn’t be a hibernating issue. he also dosent eat dandelions or any red food, just lots of variety of greens which is strange.

northern ireland
the vet wanted to see him early
Sometimes they want a poo sample, wouldn’t hurt to just take one ( if you have one ) hope he goes on ok .
the vet wanted to see him early and i brought a urine sample and he pooed in the box we brought him in, he didn’t say anything so i’m sure it’s fine. he’s keeping him overnight and giving him a feeding tube as he’s lost quite a bit of weight. (out of control, not to do with his diet, just as he’s not eating)

KT1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Skokie
What brand of vitamin/mineral powder do you all recommend? My leopard tortoise is about six months old. Thanks