russian tortoise won’t eat and sleeps all day

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
well he’s only 6 months to a year so shouldn’t be a hibernating issue. he also dosent eat dandelions or any red food, just lots of variety of greens which is strange.
Is it that you think he is too young to hibernate? Dandelions are yellow flowered, but it turns urine red. He should eat dandelions, they are good for him.

northern ireland
Is it that you think he is too young to hibernate? Dandelions are yellow flowered, but it turns urine red. He should eat dandelions, they are good for him.

yeah i do think he’s too young to hibernate.
i’m in the uk and dandelions are usually everywhere in spring/summer and quite hard to find in winter, so as of spring when they start to bloom it will be part of his diet!

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
yeah i do think he’s too young to hibernate.
i’m in the uk and dandelions are usually everywhere in spring/summer and quite hard to find in winter, so as of spring when they start to bloom it will be part of his diet!

There are some other weeds you can find in winter months that are suitable. One my greek really likes is called Plantain, and it is pretty much everywhere in the colder months. I find Tortoise Table is really useful, I try to identify plants on my walks and when I find one I check it to see if it is feedable. Sometimes they are edible but the tort wont touch them, so some experimentation is needed. I can often find narrow leaf and broad leaf Plantain near each other and my Greek tort eats both, though hes a bit picky and preferes younger shoots and leaves.

northern ireland
There are some other weeds you can find in winter months that are suitable. One my greek really likes is called Plantain, and it is pretty much everywhere in the colder months. I find Tortoise Table is really useful, I try to identify plants on my walks and when I find one I check it to see if it is feedable. Sometimes they are edible but the tort wont touch them, so some experimentation is needed. I can often find narrow leaf and broad leaf Plantain near each other and my Greek tort eats both, though hes a bit picky and preferes younger shoots and leaves.

yeah i use the tortoise table too! i have recently tried finding some weeds for him, he likes beech leaves and grass from the garden, he’s super picky ? i had only started trying out some weeds for him just before he started not eating, so i haven’t done much experimenting yet

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
yeah i use the tortoise table too! i have recently tried finding some weeds for him, he likes beech leaves and grass from the garden, he’s super picky ? i had only started trying out some weeds for him just before he started not eating, so i haven’t done much experimenting yet

It isnt obvious because of the thumbnail but I linked the specific page for Plantain, so you could see what it looks like and have a look for it. I dont know if its common in NI.

northern ireland
It isnt obvious because of the thumbnail but I linked the specific page for Plantain, so you could see what it looks like and have a look for it. I dont know if its common in NI.
oh sorry i thought you were just linking the app ? i don’t think i’ve seen it before, i’ll have to keep an eye out. thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
thanks, he’s only 6 months to a year old so it shouldn’t be a hibernating issue. i’ve ordered a ceramic heater for night times. thank you ?
What do you think happens to baby tortoises living in the wild when winter rolls around? THEY HIBERNATE! Please don't make another new thread about this problem. I've merged the three you started together. You have been given some very good advice. Now it's up to you if you want to take it or not. A vet can't help you.

northern ireland
What do you think happens to baby tortoises living in the wild when winter rolls around? THEY HIBERNATE! Please don't make another new thread about this problem. I've merged the three you started together. You have been given some very good advice. Now it's up to you if you want to take it or not. A vet can't help you.
sorry- i didn’t know. i thought they didn’t hibernate until they were older. thank you for the information.