Russian with Injured Eye

alifallah

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hello everyone, my tortoise's eye got injured probably by the other one living in its enclosure (my mistake). The other eye is fine. Should I be concerned? I have washed the area and tried to clean it with a swab. Problem is that there are no good tortoise vets near me so any help in this regard would be appreciated. Thanks. Really worried.IMG_20210212_145328.jpgIMG_20210212_145325.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210212_145322.jpg
    IMG_20210212_145322.jpg
    821.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210212_145325.jpg
    IMG_20210212_145325.jpg
    836.7 KB · Views: 6

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I think your tort will have to see a vet, it looks like it may lose the eye and there is clearly a high risk of infection.

I hope you have separated them now and understand that they cannot live together ever again. Torts are solitary animals and should not be kept in pairs

alifallah

Washington
I think your tort will have to see a vet, it looks like it may lose the eye and there is clearly a high risk of infection.

I hope you have separated them now and understand that they cannot live together ever again. Torts are solitary animals and should not be kept in pairs

I understand, however, any recommendation? things i should i look for i.e. medicine. I wont self medicate but at least need some leads to judge if the vet I am talking to has some sense on what he/she is talking about. As i mentioned before, no good vets in my area who can look at tortoises. Thank in advnace.

alifallah

Washington
Current situation after an hour, looks better. Would still appreciate any help. How long can I wait before showing it to a vet, COVID has made things any easier.

latest.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Well that is a significant improvement, I was worried there was more damage to the eye and socket. I would expect a vet to prescribe anti-biotics. If the damage to the eye itself is not that bad then nothing else may be necessary. In the meantime keep this guy warm and clean, top of his temp ranges until healed. As bad as it looked initially I am still uncomfortable saying it doesnt need a vet. Just dont accept any vitamin injections from the Vet if they offer. You dont need major surgery here so an exotics vet with some experience with reptiles should work in a pinch, they usually have connections they can reach out too as well.

alifallah

Washington
Well that is a significant improvement, I was worried there was more damage to the eye and socket. I would expect a vet to prescribe anti-biotics. If the damage to the eye itself is not that bad then nothing else may be necessary. In the meantime keep this guy warm and clean, top of his temp ranges until healed. As bad as it looked initially I am still uncomfortable saying it doesnt need a vet. Just dont accept any vitamin injections from the Vet if they offer. You dont need major surgery here so an exotics vet with some experience with reptiles should work in a pinch, they usually have connections they can reach out too as well.
Got it, really appreciate the help. Thank you!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Yossarian, evidently I am not seeing the same thing as you are. Personally, I would put Terramycin eye ointment in the eye 3 times a day. I don't think it is as serious as you do...eye ointment and leave alone

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Alifallan ...I realize I am not in your "area", but we have a couple of excellent exotic Vets here in the Corvallis area. I make the offer to any TFO member needing an exotic Vet, I offer my house if one can make an appointment with a Vet here, and need a place to sand rest if needed.
Also this on our Vet list...
Tortoise Veterinarians in Washington
Listed Alphabetically by City

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Yossarian, evidently I am not seeing the same thing as you are. Personally, I would put Terramycin eye ointment in the eye 3 times a day. I don't think it is as serious as you do...eye ointment and leave alone

I may be over-reacting some, that first pic just looked so bad, I would be a little worried about internal damage. I havent used these eyedrop personally but if they are that good then perhaps they would be ok. Thats kinda why im hesitant to say no vet, I just am not confident to make that call in this case.

alifallah

Washington
Alifallan ...I realize I am not in your "area", but we have a couple of excellent exotic Vets here in the Corvallis area. I make the offer to any TFO member needing an exotic Vet, I offer my house if one can make an appointment with a Vet here, and need a place to sand rest if needed.
Also this on our Vet list...
Tortoise Veterinarians in Washington
Listed Alphabetically by City

UPDATE:
Really appreciate all the help, friends.

I have been to the vet, he has advised me to clean the wound with Sodium Chloride Intravenous Solution daily along with an anti-bacteria to be consumed orally for 5 days, 1 time a day while feeding. The wound is on the outside, no damage in the eye (thank god!). I will begin the anti bacteria from tomorrow, the tort has gone to sleep. Everything mentioned above seems good?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I may be over-reacting some, that first pic just looked so bad, I would be a little worried about internal damage. I havent used these eyedrop personally but if they are that good then perhaps they would be ok. Thats kinda why im hesitant to say no vet, I just am not confident to make that call in this case.
You have never used that product because our government, in it's infinite wisdom banned it or something because it's impossible to find. But any 'terramycin' type eye ointment would do.
So we're ( we are), late on this one. lol

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
UPDATE:
Really appreciate all the help, friends.

I have been to the vet, he has advised me to clean the wound with Sodium Chloride Intravenous Solution daily along with an anti-bacteria to be consumed orally for 5 days, 1 time a day while feeding. The wound is on the outside, no damage in the eye (thank god!). I will begin the anti bacteria from tomorrow, the tort has gone to sleep. Everything mentioned above seems good?
Good! I'm in Corvallis Oregon just sayin

ZenHerper

New Jersey

You have never used that product because our government, in it's infinite wisdom banned it or something because it's impossible to find. But any 'terramycin' type eye ointment would do.
So we're ( we are), late on this one. lol

Oxytetracycline ophthalmic ointment is still being made by Pfizer under the brand name Terramycin-TM...it goes out of stock lately because people are no doubt overbuying to keep it on hand for their chronic herpes cats. It is OTC in most U.S. states now:

It is prescription-only in California:

ZenHerper

New Jersey

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Please separate your two tortoises if you haven't done so already.
That way you can avoid bloody vet visits.
Tortoises like to be alone. They do not like or need company from another tortoise.

alifallah

Washington
Please separate your two tortoises if you haven't done so already.
That way you can avoid bloody vet visits.
Tortoises like to be alone. They do not like or need company from another tortoise.

Yup, I have realised that. Already working on their enclosure's partition. BTW this is the first time my tortoise has seen a vet in its 3 years with me, I am a bit anxious with giving it antibiotics. Do general use antibiotics for reptiles have any side-effects?

alifallah

Washington
UPDATE: for anyone worried or anxious looking at this thread in the future, the tort is doing fine. Treated him with 5 doses of anti bacteria recommended by a vet and kept its eye clean with sterile water. The swelling has subsided and its eye's black shine is slowly coming back. The tort had been fairly active initially but in pain. Now it is eating, drinking and basking fine. Thanks to all the users who helped me here on this forum.