Russians vs Hermans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norris

5 Year Member
Hello, I was wondering whats the difference between the two of them, which ones smaller,which ones bigger, which one is better in the cold. Which one do you think would be the best pet and what are some specific traits or characteristics of them

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
They are very similar in personality and care. I find the Hermann's males to be a little less aggressive with the females, but not by much!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Ive always heard that Russians have great a personality. And they can tolerate cooler temps. I wish i would have got Ophelia as a baby but she is my rescued girl. She was so afraid of people when we got her, but she has started to come out of her shell, so to speak. The lady that had her let 2 little kids mess with her and its my opinion that they just tormented her and crap. But she now really likes to have her head scratched and dont flip out as bad about being picked up. Wish u luck on your choice! :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Russians are a burrowing temperate desert climate species, Hermann's (all three subspecies) are non-burrowing and inhabit the northern Mediterranean coast with the Eastern Hermann's range extending far into northern eastern Europe (Bulgaria & Romania). Because of this Eastern Hermann's are generally much more adaptable to a variety of enviromental conditions compared to the other Hermann's subspecies and Russian tortoises. Russian are very cold tolerant as long as they are dry. Cold and dampness is a bad combination for them. All of the Hermann's subspecies are also cold tolerant but can also withstand more humid conditions to an extent.
In terms of "personality" individuals of any species can be different even from those of their own species. Russian males can be very aggressive with other tortoises present, male or female. Female Russians are rarely very aggressive. Most Hermann's males can be aggressive too, especially during breeding season and when females are present. Females Hermann's, like female Russians are rarely aggressive but can develop a dominance hierarchy when kept in small groups of only females.
Generally a fully mature male Russian is going to be around 5.5-6", a female about 6-8". For Eastern Hermann's a mature male ranges from 5.5-7", a female 6.5-9". A mature Dalmatian Hermann's male is about 5-6", a female 6-7". A Western Hermann's (which are "rare" in the U.S.) reaches much smaller mature sizes with a male being 4.5-5", a female being 5.5-6.5". The mature size of any individual depends greatly upon where it or it's parents originated from geographically within the species range in the wild.

tickle

5 Year Member
I preffer Russians if purchased as captive raised hatchlings.I hats that they get trapped and sold In us petstores its cause of that stupid 4 inch rule if we got rid of that most stores will sell hatchlings maybe smacking the demand for 4 inchers dwindle down hatchlings are hard to find in the wild so maybe the hunters will breed them instead.just a dream.4 inch rule $65$&5$%%#&$%!!!!!!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
tickle said:
I preffer Russians if purchased as captive raised hatchlings.I hats that they get trapped and sold In us petstores its cause of that stupid 4 inch rule if we got rid of that most stores will sell hatchlings maybe smacking the demand for 4 inchers dwindle down hatchlings are hard to find in the wild so maybe the hunters will breed them instead.just a dream.4 inch rule $65$&5$%%#&$%!!!!!!

Good thought. The four inch law is out of date and should be scrapped, at least for CBB turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.