RV and her morning treats

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
Good afternoon everyone! I'm trying to post pics of RV and her morning treats. She gets treats like apples on a rare basis, carrots more frequently and cactus as I cut it. She'll tear through 3 or more pads at a time, so I limit these to treats / a couple every few days. Mostly she dines on the grass in the yard and any weeds I can pull for her. Tonight she'll get a treat of beet leaves - this is a once only treat, organic and well washed. If she takes them, fine, if not, is ok too.. Of note, she didn't like the elephant foot I clipped for her.. Oh well, whats a mom to do? We've had her as a baby, and am grateful she's doing well.

teri

cropped2.jpg

CROPPED1.jpg

cactuspad.jpg

ekm5015

5 Year Member
Awesome looking tort. Her shell looks flawless. Any tips on how you prevented pyramiding so well?

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
when she was younger it looked as tho she would pyramid. I cannot really tell you what we did other than get her in the back yard - lots of natural sun - daily soaks when she was smaller - she gets them more on a weekly basis right now.. I really worked on her diet, offering different 'approved list' foods and sprinkling with calcium supplement. don't think we had the right light, but she survived. Happy tort, happy us...

ekm5015

5 Year Member
Very nice job. Did you do the whole humidity thing that everyone is going nuts about now a days or just daily soaks? If she was outside, do you live in a very humid area? Thanks and sorry for bugging you...I just got a baby Sulcata and am curious.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think RV wants to come live with me. Really, she called me last night and said "Hey, I'd really like to live on a five acre ranch with a handsome boyfriend and a giant pen."

No... not buying that...

Okay, how about Bert wants to come live with her. When he saw her pic on the forum he got all excited and told me to just drop him off and not worry about him...

Well anyway, RV is absolutely gorgeous.

May I call dibs, in case there was ever a reason she needed a new home? I know that will probably never happen, but... just in case... she can come live with me anytime you want.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Well, I just had my 57th birthday, and RV is only 10... the math doesn't work out well for me outliving her. I had an epiphany last night - I'm only 13 years away from 70.. YIKES!! We've discussed who we'd leave her to when our time has past... so I'll put you on the list. I like your humor.

teri

ekm5015 said:
Very nice job. Did you do the whole humidity thing that everyone is going nuts about now a days or just daily soaks? If she was outside, do you live in a very humid area? Thanks and sorry for bugging you...I just got a baby Sulcata and am curious.

We live in Phoenix AZ, very dry. We didn't use high humidity in her tank as that wasn't the thing some 10 years ago. She had her soaks - hated it - but got them anyway.. mostly I think it was diet. we were really big on growing our own food for her, everything we bought was rough and approved (altho she refused some 'approved' foods). Her main diet now is the bermuda grass. Treats weekly, sweets rarely. We have an abundance of wild cactus all around phoenix, that blooms and has the deep red berries. I take those and use a flame on them to remove small spines, boil them briefly - gets rid of anything from the desert I don't want her to have, freeze them on a sheet and then pack them in baggies for treats (defrost and feed with other treats). and yeah, I spoil her I guess - I flame off the cactus pads so there are no little spines...

My sis in colorado kindly brings down a short bale of hay - but RV walks around that too...

With good husbandry yours should fare fine...

teri

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I just love her feet! If you have said in another thread how you came up with the name RV, I have missed it and I am curious about it. So how did she get that name?

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Jacqui said:
I just love her feet! If you have said in another thread how you came up with the name RV, I have missed it and I am curious about it. So how did she get that name?

RV carries her home on her back - recreational vehicle... hence RV

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
sharkstar said:
Jacqui said:

RV carries her home on her back - recreational vehicle... hence RV
Got it and I love it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.