RV has an open sore

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
it is spring and warm outside. RV has been pacing the W side block fence relentlessly, turning tight to the wall. We hear her shell scraping, and note blood on her chin. She has a ragged gash where she's scraped herself, and it is bleeding. What are my best options for topical med to put on this wound? I am unable to take her to the vet (it would be her first visit) - I had my L knee replaced 3 weeks ago and am still on the walker - and at 80 or so pounds RV is much too heavy for Mary to manage. Your help is appreciated.

As for her pacing ~ there is sufficient food in the yard growing so it isn't hunger pushing her. Is it because it is spring, and she wants to roam? Do females have the need to find a mate?

thanks

teri

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
I'm not sure what the "best" treatment is. But you can definitely put a triple anti-biotic like neosporin on the cut area.

Hopefully someone will tell you how to further treat it.

No idea on wanting out of the yard. Has she ever been on the other side? Can she see out? Tortoises are notorious for trying to get through things if they can see whats on the other side.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
It is a block fence, she's never been out of the yard. There is a chain link fence dividing a small area where we kept her when she was younger - she's not trying to go thru that. Just back and forth and back and forth along the cinder-block fence. It is frustrating, and I don't want her to have issues with infection or fly eggs....................................... I'll find the triple ABx. thanks

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Definitely use neosporin. I also used diluted hydrogen peroxide to clean Tex's wound before I put on the neosporin. Tex will pace like that sometimes and refuses to take a step back when he's too close to the wall and needs to then around . So consequently he has scraped his head a couple of times.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The pacing probably has to do with the warmer weather and the "spring is in the air" complex (breeding).

Just put any topical on the raw spot and watch that flies don't lay eggs on it.

Haven't you always wondered why sulcatas always turn into the fence when the get to the end instead of turning out away from the fence? Dudley does this too. He comes up to the corner and instead of turning out into the yard, he practically climbs the fence in order to turn around and go back.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
The pacing probably has to do with the warmer weather and the "spring is in the air" complex (breeding).

Andy has been doing this for the last two days now too! He paces back and forth in his enclosure. It's weird cause I don't know how he would notice the change in weather from inside the house.

He could just be putting on a show for us. :D

I hope RV feels better!

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Yvonne- I have wondered and wondered about that until I read somewhere that it's just kind of a Sulcata trait that for the most part they do not like to take steps backward. It still doesn't explain why they would turn one way and go towards the fence and end up just about climbing it instead of turning away from the fence and having all the room In the world to turn around. But I have noticed that Tex never takes a step backwards. He'll pivot on one back foot instead.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So sorry to hear about RV. I think you might need to place some obstacles in her path in that area. Alternatively, line that part of the wall with something less abrasive, like plywood. If you go to any large hardware store they will cut the wood for you. If they cut it lengthwise you can get 3- 16" tall x 8' long pieces. So one sheet of plywood can cover 24' of wall. You can just prop it up there. Even untreated, it should last for years out there in AZ. If I lived closer I'd come do it for you. Can any AZ members spare a couple of hours for a Home Depot run? Teri and Mary are very nice people. They will even feed and water you.:)

My new big female Chewy has been doing some of this too. She's picked one of the only places in the pen with a solid wall. When she does this, I turn her loose on the ranch and she just motors around all day. I think the restlessness might have to do with needed to be in a suitable spot to lay eggs, even though they aren't bred. Of course that doesn't explain Yvonne's Dudley. I think sometimes they just need to wander, even when they are housed in giant areas.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob does that too, all day so I have propped up a piece of plywood in his turning corner and it keeps him from scrapping his chin. I don't have any corners in Bob's pen, all of them are covered with plywood as he paces all day...

I would clean the wound with Nolvasan and then put on a thick coating of any antibiotic ointment.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Many thanks for the good suggestions. Mary says it looks much better today, the big tag is gone - maybe rubbed off - but it isn't weeping or bleeding. Mary applied some antibiotic ointment and we'll do so again tonight. Tomorrow we're supposed to go out to dinner, plan to stop by Loew's and pick up a few items, top of the list plywood. RV doesn't go all the way to the end of the fence line, she turns into the wall some 4 feet or more from the end. bewildering.

Again, thanks for the support. It is much appreciated.

teri

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Good luck with her. Imo ... 1st choice would be to clean with a solution of Nolvasan and smear Silvadene creme on all abrasions. But since those two items are normally Vet provided ... 2nd choice would be a *very* light solution of betadine/water to clean with and then the trip.antibiotic oitment.
I suggest when you have a chance to stop by a vets office and pick up the 1st two items to keep on hand. I'm never without either.

fyrekeeper

5 Year Member
Wish I had FLA available - I could come take care of all of you!! Poor baby, such a delicate girl she is!! LMHK

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I think RV is in the best possible hands...but maybe she'd like a permanent vacation in SoCal:p...OOPS! Aladar's eyes just bugged out;) Glad she's doing better ladies!

Status
Not open for further replies.