Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I drove to AZ for the TTPG Conference this weekend and stopped to meet Teri, Mary and RV along the way. They are just the nicest people you could meet and RV is even more beautiful in person. I was dropping off my Rubbermade shed and some heat mats for RV to use. We talked for a while, set up the new shed, and looked at RV's baby pics. We set up the shed right next to RV's burrow entrance and we all kept mentioning how we wondered what was down there. I've always wanted to know, but mine don't dig and I just haven't had the opportunity before. Teri and Mary offered (with great enthusiasm) to let me go down and check it out and graciously offered me some old clothes and a hot shower after, so down I went. Keep in mind that RV is now around 10 years old and 78.6 pounds.

Here I am just before descending head first into the unknown...
dh8r9c.jpg

It was deeper than I thought. The entrance tunnel is about 10' long and at about a 45 degree angle.
nwa1bq.jpg

The tunnel goes straight down and then turns to the right. There is a large "chamber" to the right, big enough for me to turn around in.
1056udg.jpg

In this pic my behind is up against the wall at the bottom of the entrance tunnel and my feet are in the "chamber" area.
usaih.jpg

Here is what RV sees from about half way up the burrow. She really wanted to know what I was doing in her burrow and tried to join me repeatedly. Thankfully, we all agreed that was not a good idea.
secbyt.jpg

Here is the chamber area. You can see that it continues on to the right. Also note how smooth and flat the roof is. You can see where the top of RV's dome has been rubbing day after day. This is one reason for the shell smoothness of a tort that burrows. That roof was very hard and abrasive.
14m9jsy.jpg

2cwlfs6.jpg

The burrow keeps going around and down to the right and forms a spiral. The terminal end of the burrow actually wraps around and finally stops UNDER the entrance burrow. There was a lot of loose dirt and I could see where she was still working on it. Who knows how far it will go when she is finally done.
qpj800.jpg

I must have shown these pics to 20 people at the TTPG conference. You should have seen Richard Fife's eyes light up. He told me he's done this too and was equally astounded. He said when he does it he ties a rope around his legs and has his wife hold the end, "just in case". I thought of a whole lot of jokes, but chose to bite my tongue. As far as he can remember, all the burrows he has been down also turn to the right. I wonder if they turn to the left in the Southern Hemisphere.

This was an amazing experience. I can't thank Teri and Mary enough for allowing me this adventure and learning experience.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
That is amazing what made you want to take the plunge to find out how deep it was ? all I can say is WOW thats great

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
This is, without a doubt, the coolest thing I've seen on this site! Yes! Everybody knows which torts I like! Yes! Everybody knows that I'm an advocate of Tom's theories...especially since I was applying them myself BEFORE I found this site or met Tom! :p But this is the NEW coolest thread! Great job Tom (and Teri...and Mary...and RV);)

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Spokane, Washington
Very, very cool.

The picture of RV watching you disappear into her burrow made me laugh. Uninvited guests can be such a hassle!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Tom,that has to be the coolest tort related thing I've ever seen! What an experiance that must have been.

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
Tom you are just awesome.. thank you so much for doing this and taking the time to explain.. thank you thank you...

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Wow! That is so neat. I'm wondering how long it took for RV to dig that burrow.

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Arizona
Tom these are awesome pics!!! I have been waiting with baited breath to see them!! :D
When I was standing at the end of that burrow and Teri told me what you had done the day before I got claustrophobic just thinking about it!! :) You are a brave man!!
Oh and your shed and new mother of all tortoise houses have inspired greatness in me for making Rexann something fancy. Well, truth be told they have inspired me to talk my husband into making Rexann something fancy. hehehe ;)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
That is just amazing, thanks Tom for explaining and the pictures. It really puts into perspective on how large the burrow are. Amazing!!!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
wish i could of been there... would of been an awesome experience. i would of jumped in front of you to get down in there!! lol

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RV was probably trying to figure out why this crazy human was invading his burrow.

maggie better not let bob see this thread and give him any ideas

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Just for future under ground excursions.

A 4wd remote control truck, web cam, laptop, long wires and rope (and maybe some duct tape). :)

Yes, this has been done:)

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
dmmj said:
RV was probably trying to figure out why this crazy human was invading his burrow.

maggie better not let bob see this thread and give him any ideas

He was probally wondering why he didn't bring his shovel.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom called me and told me all about it (and his other escapades) on his drive home from the Conference! I'm still blown away at the entire process...I'm really pleased that Teri and Mary allowed RV to burrow in the first place. How many of us would have filled the hole in after the first day?!?!? GREAT STUFF!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom told me that the excitement level was so high that they 'forgot' to read temp/humidity, but that Teri was going to take care of it soon!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Tom you are wonderful, insane, .....I wish i could think of more words. This was without a doubt, the most wonderful post I've ever seen. What an adventure! I'm wondering was there any urine or poop down there to create humidity? (that was a crazy question).

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Nice post! I was also wondering where all the poop was?? How many years has RV been working on that burrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.