RV's yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
So we filled in the burrow... The 'dirt' is actually very degraded stone.
DSCN4028.jpg

the stone'fill next to our soil
DSCN4029.jpg

we had the sod spaced apart, so the bermuda would grow between - we also put down grass mix/ flowers/ weeds throughout the sod and between.. hoping for lots of growth for a hungry tort
DSCN4035.jpg

and speaking of tort, RV chased me all over the yard, convinced I had food for her... (she'll get a carrot in a little while)
DSCN4032.jpg

DSCN4034.jpg

and here is the mound covering her burrow. Some will still sink in. We caved in some of the burrow, and then washed down quite a bit of fill with the hose. RV doesn't mind that it is there, and gives her something to climb on if she feels the need. Come summer it will be hot, so we may have to cover it with sod also. perfect for Halloween - just needs the tombstone.. hah!
DSCN4036.jpg

since we leveled the east side of the yard with this stuff, we may have to put down more sod so the yard isn't as hot. hmmm. wasn't thinking about that when we put it down.

anyway, thanks for looking!

teri

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
ascott said:
Looks good...nice job :D. May I ask why to burrow destruction? :D

It came to pass that RV wasn't able to get out of the burrow - it became too steep and she was digging steps instead of leveling the grade. We didn't see her for a couple of days in the summer - not unusual since she went below during the heat of the day. We became concerned though, and pulled the cover from over the entrance . . . We found RV digging around the outer part of the tunnel, trying to dig her way out, since she couldn't climb out. We had to take the hose and put it under her back end, and help hoist her out. Also, we found the ceiling was coming down in chunks, so we deemed it unfit and condemned the property....... It was boarded over for a year, and finally, finally filled in.

You can call me a worrywart, but I didn't favor having to go down and try for a tort rescue, should the thing have decided to cave. I've enough gray hair..... :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ahhh...totally understand. I have one guy here that has a great burrow but have in the past had to demo a couple due to collapse risks....I just hate doing it but totally will if the need arises....:D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
It looks great, and so does she!!!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Now thats tortoise heaven. I love how you spaced the sod.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm very curious to see what happens with the sod and bermuda now. It will be interesting to see how it all fills in.

I sure love that big girl...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
sharkstar said:
You can call me a worrywart, but I didn't favor having to go down and try for a tort rescue, should the thing have decided to cave. I've enough gray hair..... :p

Sounds like a job for Tunnel-man Tom!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
To bad, you could plant something in between the sod pieces that were a different color leaf. Could look really pretty.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:
sharkstar said:

Just an interesting side note... Apparently the burrows frequently collapse in the wild. The author of the book knew of no tortoise ever dying from that. They appear to be able to dig themselves out.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Jacqui said:
To bad, you could plant something in between the sod pieces that were a different color leaf. Could look really pretty.

the bermuda is coming up fine between, and we've spread grass seeds, flower an weed seeds. picts later on when the place is a raging jungle (I can dream...)

Tom said:
emysemys said:
sharkstar said:

Just an interesting side note... Apparently the burrows frequently collapse in the wild. The author of the book knew of no tortoise ever dying from that. They appear to be able to dig themselves out.

we'd not seen her for some days before we went looking.. I don't know how long she'd been digging trying to get out. but it's done now, no going back...

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
free stuff. It's rye, but we have bermuda underneath, and I'm really hoping it will take over the rye ...

Status
Not open for further replies.